Was getting anxious about the corn.....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
it hadn't come up yet, after almost 2 weeks. We've had sunshine and lots of rain and I expected to see something by now! So, I couldn't resist taking a peek to see if they were even germinating...I had used some older seed and had second thoughts after planting. I have a sprout!!!!!!!!!! :weee I guess the nights have been pretty cool here and it was just waiting for the soil to remain consistently warm. I am so relieved. I was hoping to sell my excess corn at the roadside this year. We've only had one night this spring when it was not in the 40s . I cannot WAIT to sink my teeth into new, sweet, crisp corn!!! I have been dreaming about it all winter!

I didn't get a garden out until too late last year, the ground was not worked well, etc. as we had just moved here in May. I barely got a stunted little harvest from 3 little rows of corn. Everyone in this area had a poor sweet corn crop, except the commercial growers, last year. THIS year....whopping big garden, lots of corn, the ground is optimal for growth and I have the butter on standby! :D

Anyone else out there waiting for corn? :fl

wclawrence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yeah I have Red Popcorn, Ruby Queen Hybrid, and Peaches and Cream planted. Mine is yellow for some reason.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep waiting on my corn here too. I hope it comes up! I usually wait for the soil temp to be 55 before I set out corn seeds or I'll loose most to roting and wet soil. I also presoak them for 5 days before planting to give them a boost.

Planted "silver queen" and "early and often". I should be able to get corn off the second one, but the silver queen is a gamble as it doesn't always do so well in our cool summers.

Latest posts