Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My water lily is blooming!

This was on Sun.
3720490305_b71557c1cf.jpg

This was today
3721989463_f1a38c5838.jpg

I've never seen a water lily bloom, so I'm very excited!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh thank you so much for sharing ..the first thread I open this morning and there is a most stunning water lily!!!! how can this day not be wonderful!!!! :love

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Great on your first bloom!

Bad news- I have a pond full of them that I have been trying to eradicate for the last 3 years. See my thread under Weeds/Problems Ridding Emergent Vegetation in Pond, for my torment.
My sister had an aquatic nursery where I got some hardy water lilies. She assured me that if I put them in their pot into the pond that they wouldn't spread. Pots tip, water lilies seed and I have quite a bad problem. A half acre to be exact and it happened quickly.

Waterlilies are really considered an invasive plant, to be avoided and in some areas prohibited from buying/selling.

In retrospect, I would have chosen a non hardy water lily that I would need to replenish each year. I am in zone 5 with some winters zone 4.
I don't know what your situation is, but strongly advise keeping an eye on them.

A funny note; my golden retriever fetches the flowers for me every time she is in the pond. It is difficult for her to negotiate her way through the tangle of stems but she does it and it is so girly, lol.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sylvie said:
Great on your first bloom!

Bad news- I have a pond full of them that I have been trying to eradicate for the last 3 years. See my thread under Weeds/Problems Ridding Emergent Vegetation in Pond, for my torment.
My sister had an aquatic nursery where I got some hardy water lilies. She assured me that if I put them in their pot into the pond that they wouldn't spread. Pots tip, water lilies seed and I have quite a bad problem. A half acre to be exact and it happened quickly.

Waterlilies are really considered an invasive plant, to be avoided and in some areas prohibited from buying/selling.

In retrospect, I would have chosen a non hardy water lily that I would need to replenish each year. I am in zone 5 with some winters zone 4.
I don't know what your situation is, but strongly advise keeping an eye on them.

A funny note; my golden retriever fetches the flowers for me every time she is in the pond. It is difficult for her to negotiate her way through the tangle of stems but she does it and it is so girly, lol.
Thanks! I hope they won't be a problem. My pond is small and it has a flexible liner. I plan on taking them inside, because the winters here are COLD!!! zone 3/4 Brrrrrr

Latest posts