Water Voles and Our Eco System

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
made out of plastic means those will probably not last very long. i've had good results with that style of trap but only the ones made of metal last very long - the rest rapidly wear out break here. :(
These are very heavy duty. The tunnel is the key. They don't really need bait in them, just set them in a vole run and they trip the trap as they go through.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are very heavy duty. The tunnel is the key. They don't really need bait in them, just set them in a vole run and they trip the trap as they go through.

it's not the tunnel that i'm worried about wearing out too quickly but the actual trigger as if it is made out of plastic i may get a half dozen to a dozen snaps out of it before it starts being unable to hold when set. if the mechanisms are made out of metal then at least they may last longer, but without seeing the innards i'd not be willing to spend that kind of $ for such a trap.

the bait or no bait question is familiar to me as i've often caught mice or chipmunks without bait by placing the traps where they commonly run.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My cat brings them in from the golf course every few days. Cute little things with stubby tails, but I do hate them alot for the damage they cause in the lawn, foundation plants and my pathways. I wish they would STAY out on the golf course!
I am not at all fond of voles! I lived in a place where the voles would sneak in to my garden at night and bite my pea vines in half and leave them on the ground to die! 😡

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am not at all fond of voles! I lived in a place where the voles would sneak in to my garden at night and bite my pea vines in half and leave them on the ground to die! 😡
same here, and there are not enough predators to control them - maybe only ravens and magpies here in our garden. Sometimes, I got several on the traps, and within hours the bodies were eaten by something.

The voles caused a terrible loss this year for tulips, sunflowers, and some other plants.

Latest posts