Watermelon Blues....

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year we planted about 15 watermelon plants...beautiful vines, lots of blooms developing into nice watermelons. Right before each one was ripened for the pickin the melon would disappear. The melon would be drug out into the field, hidden in the tall grass, and found with the meat of the melon gone. At first I thought it had to be deer stomping them to crack them open. It took me about the third or fourth one to see small, pin size holes around the rind....to think maybe birds, crows! Nope, can't be crows, the deed is always done at night. Then I remembered that I had always heard coyotes would eat watermelon. But, still, I found it hard to believe a coyote....!! Yes, it is a true fact.

I tried everything to keep them and everything else away. I put little kiddy wind mills out, it worked for the crows...but not the coyotes. I sprayed bath and body bodyspray directly on the watermelons thinking the unusual scent would deter them, it worked for the deer....but not the coyotes. I heard that urine works by making them think that something was marking the territory. Helped the most....but not enough. We managed to pick like two or three sorry looking watermelons. No more watermelons for me.

This was a helpful source of information about coyotes in the garden within my state of Alabama:
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1026&context=ewdcc6

Latest posts