Watermelon Growth. *NEW PIC*

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well,

This year was my first year growing watermelons. I planted 4 different varieties, and I believe 3 of the 4 germinated. The two smaller varieties are just putting on tiny fruit, but the other variety is amazing me. Its called Orange Tendersweet, they are from Burpee. I've counted about a dozen melons on the plants, Im not even sure how many plants I have. I planted them in a bed, and they are all over. I wanted to show you guys how much this melon has grown in just 4 days. Im sure they all grow this fast, but since this is my first year with them, Im amazed,lol.

Here it was on the 3rd of July.

355.jpg

Here it is on the 5th.

002-9.jpg

And here it is today, on the 7th.

004-12.jpg

Here it is on the 9th!

031.jpg

July 11th!

378.jpg

July 14th.

382-2.jpg

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looking good; it must like the weather! Is the heatwave supposed to make it there? It's hot here today, and getting hotter this week!

You should take a photo of it every couple of days, maybe with a ruler, and then make a page on watermelon growth! :)

What variety is it?

Thanks for showing us how it's doing! :happy_flower

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter, that was my thought exactly! It was horribly hot today, and tomorrow its supposed to be 110.

I actually have been taking a pic every other day, but the only thing I had nearby to measure with was my hand, LOL! Since I graduated from school, I dont think we keep a ruler in the house. :p

It's and Orange Tendersweet. They were the only cool looking variety at Walmart, so I grabbed em!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
110, wow, it was 88 today and I was complaining. ;)

That looks great Jordan! We planted our watermelons really late so we are just starting to get some fruits to set. Hopefully they grow that quickly!

Orange Tendersweet is a great heirloom variety (surprising you found it where you did) so make sure you save some seeds for next year! They hold up well too.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It was 70's here, and I was loving it. Then, today, 109. I'm too miserable to even use an emoticon.

Tomorrow, hotter. Wednesday, hotter than tomorrow. It's 118 further north....

My power source is being overhauled, and ran into a small, but necessary part....on back order. So we got the only generator available in the area, so we had power, and while we were setting it up, it got to be 88 in the house. I'm just now feeling like I will not fall over. Between the heat and smoke, I'm becoming seriously miserable.

Oakland, I hope it doesn't get any warmer there; that this doesn't move down the state. Even the coast, which is lucky to hit 70 now and then, is expecting 80's.

OEGB, keep cool, and keep and eye on the garden. You both probably need extra fluids. That's too hot.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
It was 70's here, and I was loving it. Then, today, 109. I'm too miserable to even use an emoticon.

Tomorrow, hotter. Wednesday, hotter than tomorrow. It's 118 further north....

My power source is being overhauled, and ran into a small, but necessary part....on back order. So we got the only generator available in the area, so we had power, and while we were setting it up, it got to be 88 in the house. I'm just now feeling like I will not fall over. Between the heat and smoke, I'm becoming seriously miserable.

Oakland, I hope it doesn't get any warmer there; that this doesn't move down the state. Even the coast, which is lucky to hit 70 now and then, is expecting 80's.

OEGB, keep cool, and keep and eye on the garden. You both probably need extra fluids. That's too hot.
Wow Tutter it sounds like a horrible situation out there. Best of luck getting through it. Hopefully the heat doesn't get too high (we don't have an A/C here).

Everyone should remember to stay hydrated!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think watermelons love the heat, as long as they've got plenty of water. WOW! The growth is astounding. This is my second year trying to grow watermelon myself. I didn't plant but two little plants and they are growing well, but no where near to blooming yet I think. How about you send me some of those yummy watermelons, I'm sure you'll have more than you can eat. You got any "carrier" pigeons who could heft a watermelon about 800 miles? :p My grandparents used to commercially grow watermelons in AZ. It got so my grandma would only eat the heart of the melon, leaving the rest of it for everybody else. :/

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Those pics are amazing!
I planted a few seeds near the corn, but apparently they are not all that happy because they are not doing squat :(

I will keep my finger crossed that mine grow up to be as nice as yours!!

Latest posts