Watermelon vs pumpkin vine?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, after all the surprise freezes killed so much off, I stopped caring what was planted next to what. =/
There's two tomato plants and several pea plants on two sides. Both have fruit already. I believe there is some pepper plants growing, but I'm not sure, have to wait for it to flower and show some fruit.
I'm not wanting help to grow certain failure plants, we don't really eat them and the more I think of them, the less I see a need to even bother growing them.
I'm giving up on peas, just because no one eats them and they don't grow too well. Giving up on most lettuces and the like, still trying broccoli and cauliflower, since I eat those, but they aren't liking me. I think there may be a carrot plant....if it turns out not being a carrot, I'm quitting those as well.
Pumpkins, watermelons, peppers & tomatoes can all be fed to our pigs to cut feed costs and sold to family, cukes and potatoes we eat.
Heck, even the rabbits are being little more than money pits and it's been two years. I got some better stock to try and get things going well, if it doesn't, I'll sell them all or keep the best. I have the sheep and pigs, they clearly do far better than the rabbits anyway.

Potato patches.
potatoe1.jpg

potatoe2.jpg

Have 4 unknown plantlets, were in pots, not marked, I ended up forgetting what they were....Center, oak shape leaves.
20130624_174002.jpg

Found this guy growing a few days ago, next to the original picture of the huge vine.
20130624_174009.jpg

More vines springing up, never dumped any, but the dogs did eat seeds. There's a larger one under a rabbit hutch, makes even less sense, can only think a seed must of been stuck to my boot or?? But it's smaller than the front yard vine, though, it's starting to catch up real fast.
vine1.jpg

Suspect pepper plants, center.
20130624_174030.jpg

Lastly, the possible carrot...center.
20130624_174024.jpg

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Third picture down = watermellon, fourth probably cucumber, but could be young pumpkin, fifth = pumpkin.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
1 Watermelon
2 Could be many things but a cucurbit. Cucumber, squash, gourd, pumpkin; Who knows?
3. Sweet potato? Very possible an ornamental. Possibly not from a seed but maybe from a cutting or a bit or root? If they are scattered around and coming up, maybe seeds from an ornamental or vine out of control, maybe seeds dropped by birds?
4. Looks pepper to me.
5. I hesitate to guess. I had an asparagus come up in a flower bed about 100 feet from the nearest asparagus. Could be carrot, but my first guess is weed.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
3. Sweet potato? Very possible an ornamental. Possibly not from a seed but maybe from a cutting or a bit or root? If they are scattered around and coming up, maybe seeds from an ornamental or vine out of control, maybe seeds dropped by birds?
While disposing of another raccoon carcass this morning I saw something that helped with this. Morning Glory!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uhm, you guys.....
I was more or less showing off all my potatoes. :D Not included for guessing you sillies! I bought yukon gold last year, these are the potatoes that those grew and I harvested. So they are also yukon gold plants.
The rest are the guesses. I'm thinking weed for the 'carrot', too. :( Which is fine, I guess. I stuck in some cuke seeds in that bed.

So that first guessing picture, you think it's a watermelon? That's great, ridgerunner! :D

Oh, these are terrible zoomed in cell pics, I'll get better ones at some point hopefully soon.

But in the meantime, please enjoy these two images of other things sprouting up!
946506_593296827370496_1305821527_n.jpg

580157_594455757254603_365074214_n.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the vine growing under the rabbit hutch. It's fenced off because the chickens kept breaking the flowers, fruit and stems...
vine.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's the biggest one so far. They are all so darned frail!!! Wind & rain easily knock off the flower and they rot.... :(

1013027_595094380524074_2130375805_n.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
This ones got a weird shape and it's skin kind of looks translucent like over cooked cukes. Does that make sense?
plant.jpg

Latest posts