Watermelon

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yet another beginner question;

I'm going to try and grow watermelon this year. I love the taste. Is there any way to can them and preserve the flavor?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandmother used to make watermelon rind preserves. No, they didn't taste like watermelons. My Daddy froze watermelon juice. It was ok, but it was not really watermelon. If you freeze one, you get a big green ball full of red mush. If you packed watermelon in a jar and pressure canned it.......aw heck-fire..... just put a gob of watermelon in a pot and cook it.....you'll see what I mean.

In answer to your question...... NO

Watermelon is a delight. There is nothing that can compare to a cold sweet watermelon, juice running down your arm and dripping off your elbows, spitting seed contests and laughing with your friends.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can pickle to preserve the rind, of course its not the same.

I do make watermelon jelly each year, which is really nice... but it tastes more like a watermelon jolly rancher then fresh watermelon. :) You can make the jam from the rinds as well.

I also make watermelon sweetened 'concentrate' for juice... but again, its more sweet. You then need to add water to make the juice, however I only make it for cocktail drinks. I'll add it to the blender with crushed ice and make a nice summer margarita! :D

Latest posts