Wears me out watching him

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the latest (of very few) photo of spouse.
spouse, always hard at work..JPG

Despite my pleas to wait for a few good rains before smoothing out the mess left by the Geo-installation, spouse is out there every day all day raking, digging, hauling, and dumping whatever he thinks is out of place where the lawn should be.

Sometimes I am lucky enough to get the wagon filled. Then I can tote and dump, but usually he fills the wheelbarrows with the wagon right beside them. Then he has a 2 city-block-trip over rough ground to dump them.

I am looking for the latch so I can remove those Energizer batteries that keep him working until I'm past tired. Still, he is at his best when he can be outside putting his body to the test. Happier attitude, hearty appetite and a good night's sleep for both of us.

Yup! Right now that's my version of a yard tractor and lawn mower. Just off camera to the left is the big IH tractor -- too big for most of what we do and I was never "allowed" to learn how to work it. Now spouse doesn't remember well enough to teach me how.

That poor little wagon is over 50 years old and still on the original tires. They don't make 'em like they used to?

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I'm wondering if it is worse to have a DH who has to be moving and doing all the time, (even if it is the wrong thing) or one who refuses to do anything for fear it might be the wrong thing?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Different problems for different reasons. I'm not sure there is a better. As long as spouse isn't burning down the house, hurting himself or others, I vote for mine to be moving and doing.

My spouse is leery of trying new things and might not do something if he thinks he might do it wrong, it is just he is so fantastically talented that little is a real challenge to him. More and more is being forgotten as time passes.

As an aside, we started on Aricept three days ago. So far there have been no problems tolerating the meds, but it is too soon to see a difference in behavior or memory.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice thought, @seedcorn. I love to be outside so we are usually working together. Me on something much easier, me weeding the garden, me driving the wagon to unload it, or me watching, worried he'll get hurt.

'Sides, I love watching this guy. I don't know how much time I will have to watch him and I'm not about to waste a moment.

Reactions: pjn

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sitting around in a chair for the rest of his life would be so much worse. I found with my Mom Aracept worked very well. The problem was not taking it when no one was there to remind her. And of course she didn't need help. My husband's cousin has been on it for 10 years and he has maintained really well. There is a new drug that they are adding to it also.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, the doctor mentioned another med applied as a patch, but Aracept is a lot less expensive. I am surprised that he has taken the meds four nights in a row. In all our married life, he has taken one aspirin. That's it!

I do hope it helps us.

Latest posts