Weather, Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like some major things happening in the country!

Philadelphia, or nearby, had 9" of snow yesterday, PhilaGardener says!

Here, it is single digitS' this morning. Not much more snow was added to what little we have. It will be about the same story tomorrow, below zero but still, single

digitS'

here are some forecast and recent storm summaries: (LINK)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are in the teens today, but then diving to the deep freeze again. No snow in about 4 days, so there must be some on the way..:rolleyes:

This is the 5th coldest winter in my lifetime, and they are saying the cold is not over yet.

Ha... we have a Winter Misery Index ... to put our pain into perspective ... :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Winters of the late 70s & early 80s were much worse, while 3 of the 5 easiest winters came since 1987."

It is not just that we have become accustomed to "less misery" tho, is it Lavender?

"As of January 31st there have been 33 minimum temperatures of zero or colder: 13 in December, and 20 in January. This is the most number of minimums below zero so early in a winter since the winter of 81-82 when the total through January 31 was 33. The most in a winter through January 31 is 44 from the winter of 1976-77. If the forecast holds, 2014 will be in a four way tie for the 13th most lows of zero or colder going back to the winter of 1872-1873."

Celebrating that most of the snow missed rings kinda hollow when it is sub-zero out.

How does that river look??!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know how they have those "years of service" pins for some employees? I think we should have a "number of winters survived" pin! This has been an ugly one for us...calling for 8 to 12 inches over the next night and day. I can hardly wait...Stay safe and warm everyone!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in SW Washington, yesterday we had a snow storm ( really coming down quite heavily ) lasting for 45 minutes ... most of it melted as soon as it hit the ground, then the total measurement was the depth of 2-3 snow flakes for the next 15 minutes ... then all gone. Temp. was at 35*. :ep This morning the cold temp. was 27.3* (with a 0.0 wind)with a forecast high of 36*. For tomorrow it is supposed to get down to 13* and a high of 26*. This cold wave will last until Monday morning with possible snow showers. :confused: Possible snow days for school kids and idiot drivers sliding into ditches ! :thHow are we ever going to survive this Arctic BLAST ? :idunno

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are in the teens today, but then diving to the deep freeze again. No snow in about 4 days, so there must be some on the way..:rolleyes:

This is the 5th coldest winter in my lifetime, and they are saying the cold is not over yet.

Ha... we have a Winter Misery Index ... to put our pain into perspective ... :rolleyes:
Lavender, I live south of you in IA and we are having similar weather. Looking at another 3 to 6 inches tonight with 35 mph winds. Then the artic cold is to return. Ugh, Winter can't get over fast enough. I Think Lesa is right. We need a pin for winters survived. I slipped on Ice and banged knee yesterday. Not bad, luckily. And bobm, no need to rub it in. Snow melt!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Calling for another 4-10" over today and tomorrow. Oh Joy!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wind chill of -26. Apparently. I havent gone outside, THATS for sure. Supposed to be like this all week.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I'm not alone in my misery! Stay warm everyone, fondle those seed packets, it's almost over! :)

@lesa - heck with the pin, we need a trophy, maybe a gold watch.:D

@bobm - In my world you just described Spring!

@digitS' - Perhaps it seemed a bit less miserable when I enjoyed cross country skiing more than gardening. My yard has about 2' snow cover, 4 to 5' where the blower throws it.
Yep, the Mighty Mississippi is froze almost to St. Louis, 8 to 16" of ice up here. At least the snowmobilers are happy!

Sprinkler Buddy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Feeling like Spring here this week, 81 today, Feb. is usually our coldest month. Weeds ah growing! lol

I invite anyone down to FL to get away from those brutal days most in the North have been having. If your willing to pull some weeds! :)

Latest posts