Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over 90°f this afternoon.

I thought that I would share this with you: Alamosa Colorado recorded both a record high and record low for a recent day. It was 92° in the afternoon following a morning low of 37°.

This isn't quite what happens here but things can be a little close to that. In the spring of 2019, I kinda felt that every few days (not in 12 hours ;)) the weather was doing that. It's really hard on garden plants.

When I visited Alamosa (waaay south), I was surprised how similar the natural environment was to here. Nearly the same forests nearby ... I knew, that there would be a location at a certain elevation that would be nearly 100% comparable.

There's this old idea that 500 feet increase in elevation equals 1° of latitude north - not absolute but close.
Alamosa: 7543'
here: 2000'
5543' ~11° latitude
here: 48° N
Alamosa: 37° N

See :D ?

digitS'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd like to know about ..

@Carol Dee 's weather, tomorrow and continuing.

Also, others in that part of N America as the storms pass.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our weather forecast read at 19 it's 21.5 in doors.
The sky is completely grey, feels humid and there's a fine drizzle.

Don't know if it's the weather but some of our phone services don't appear too be working.

Hope you guys are ok with the heat and storms where you are

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a storm pass through Sat. about 7 p.m. Winds clocked at 80 MPH near us. We did get wind and thunder. Some lighting and rain. But only 1/2 inch of rain! We lucked out. No damage! Sis lost and apple tree. Lots of corn laid over but not green snapped, so hopefully it will right itself some. About 3 blocks from us a small tree was uprooted! Our old , getting soft in the middle, hackberry did not drop anything more than some leaves!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee ,

Looks like it is rain for you and maybe most of the activity soon just south near Des Moines ..?

The Weather Service says this morning that "severe
weather is not anticipated" but, 2 days ago, they scared me. Hmmm ... your weekend looks dicey ... hope you don't have too many outdoor hours planned.

Steve 🙄

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are all the way over to the Mississippi River side of the state. Rain is heading here but should not be as severe as Des Moines had it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has sprinkled lightly most of the day but not moved the level in the rain gauge. We really could us some more so we do not need to water garden and pots again.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far, not much rain here. Like the last couple storms, the strongest activity has mostly been stuck in the upper & western parts of the state; a little thunder here overnight, but only about 1/2" of rain. This system is moving very slowly though & strong storms are still rising North out of Iowa, so we are not out of the woods yet.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Slid right past Iowa. This looks to be in @ducks4you and @Prairie Rose neighborhood:

" ...severe thunderstorms ...
HAZARD...70 mph wind gusts and penny size ...
IMPACT...Expect considerable tree damage. Damage is likely to mobile homes, roofs, and outbuildings.
...A Tornado Watch remains in effect until 900 PM CDT for south central and central Illinois. A Tornado Watch also remains in effect until 1100 PM CDT for south central and east central Illinois.

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a building."

I imagine that I would be an emotional wreck if I lived in tornado country.

Steve

Latest posts