Weather

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I could report some record warmth but the records are so wild this time of year. There have been some record warm low temperatures set out in the depths of the Columbia Basin.

There will be more, this morning. The weather will have to be a little more wild for there to be much more than those few.

How are things for you? Wild, mid-December weather?

It is 40°f this morning! Our temperatures are 20° above normal and that might be good enough for records during some months, not December.

I wonder what it is about this month ... maybe that we are nearing that extreme on the sun's yearly path. The Winter Solstice will occur during the evening of the 21st. The Sun has gone about as far away as it can go!

There will also be a New Moon on the 21st ... not that I've seen much of it the last few mornings. Living in a valley, the fog has moved in when the sky might have been clear. Mountains around are getting snow this morning but that may change to rain by Sunday. There won't be a lot of rain; there seldom is.

I drove out to the treeline a few days ago. I like to do that during these dark weeks. Get up on a hill out there and there is a sense of returning to the light. Notice, I didn't say driving up to the treeline. It would take a snowmobile but would likely give that same sense of emerging from down in, and under.

Anyway, the roots of the little pines out there at the edge of the Columbia Basin sure must appreciate the December rain. The soil has thawed of ice and is soaking up this moisture. This is how it should be here and many blades of wheat will be soaking up that moisture in the spring. Normal will return, maybe as early as Christmas. The moisture will soon enough be frozen in place and covered with snow.

NASA says our communities are much brighter from space at this time of year ... there! That can be my theme for a Christmas letter! From under the rain clouds ...

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a premature burst of Arctic air in November, December has been right balmy for us here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin. With the cloud cover we've been having, the night temps have been staying in the mid 20's and the days in the range of 30-38. No sun and plenty of wind with the higher but near normal daytime temps.

Santa will have to make other arrangements this Christmas as wheels will be more usable than runners, although there may, might, could possibly be a small chance of light snow flurries with little chance of accumulation late on Christmas Eve.

The weather is great for our chances of getting the geo-thermal heating in. Not too long for the temps to warm up in the morning and not too cold to work.

Still, this is Wisconsin and I know that once the solstice has passed, we will continue to cool off our temperatures. "As the day lengthens, the cold strengthens", was G-Grandma Minta's way to describe our coldest weather being in January and February.

@digitS', our warm air has mostly been a gift from the Southern breezes, but please feel free to send your 20 degree above average temperatures on to my part of Wisconsin. I, for one, will appreciate it greatly.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rain falling here now, and at last report there is still little to no snow at the ski hill Kid#1 works winters at. This means no income for him.
Fortunately dh has enough work right now that he can pay him to help him part time, which is a blessing that our son is grateful for.

I guess you never get a break from worrying over your kids even when they're adults and out making their own way.

This lack of snow affects so many folks. All the lawn companies that do snow removal are sitting around, wondering if they'll get much work this winter. I wonder what the road crews that are normally running the plows do when it's so balmy out?

We have been using hardly any firewood. I usually get a fire going in the morning to take the chill off the house then let it go out until evening. Especially on baking days, the oven makes it plenty warm in the house. That's one of the nice things about a compact house!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We were included in that balmy Dec weather @Smart Red. It was terrific for all that shopping and running around that I'm really not thrilled about doing at a sprint to keep from freezing.

I was admiring my lovely green grass on Christmas Eve, listening to Mom grumble about the lack of snow. The weather guy said zero chance of a white Christmas... nope, wrong again! It started snowing around 10 am Christmas Day, ended up with about 2". Then our town won the 'most snow award' for a system that went through last night, another 6". Back to reality for me. :tongue

It was quite a delight to see the sunshine today though...ending ten days of grey gloom.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was sunny and nearly 60 degrees today and having nothing to bake or wrap, I got to go out and work in the yard. Did some yard waste clean-up and bedded down the roses with straw (and wire to keep it from all blowing away.) :weee

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's snowing like heck now! 4" the last time I went out to clear the snow off the satellite dish and still coming down thick. Dh just plowed the driveway and the neighbors drive for their house sitter.
All the snowboarders and skiers are going out of their minds (with joy I guess) up on the ski hill Kid#1 says.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom - we really do need the snow to come in for the ski hills, and the cold for the rinks and lakes to freeze better for fishing... and for me to catch up on my sewing so I have something to sell next year. DH has one more week off work, then I will be chained to my machine for a while. The chain is mine, no need to send help. :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got back from our cabin where there was no snow for the first time in about 20 years. Had to drive up another 20 minutes to find a spot where kids could sled on. Spent 3 hours playing and had so much fun!

Hope we get snow for President's weekend when we'll be going up again.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Usually, we are somewhat isolated from the rest of the US. If weather is shared across the Rockies, it comes from here first.

In general, that isolation hasn't been happening. Along with much of the US, the temperatures have been unseasonably warm the last several weeks. There were a couple of December afternoons above 50°f. Several nights, there was no frost. That is all changing and we, along with many US locations, are moving on to more normal winter weather.

We had wind gusts above 30mph, yesterday. The wind has died away a lot but the wind chill is still below zero. The thermometer shows single ..

. digitS°
wishing, along with the plants, that there was more snow cover!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The sun is shining here this morning, which is a pleasant change from the constant gloom of about two weeks. It's about 25 degrees out, but that's OK.

Latest posts