Weed control wisdom......from 'Grit'

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mulch applied over a synthetic barrier is even more effective at suppressing weeds than either one on its own. This dynamic duo is especially efficient at keeping many persistent perennial weeds under control. Thick plastic sheeting or landscape fabrics available as spunbond, woven or non-woven materials provide a great physical barrier to weeds. But unlike plastic, landscape fabrics usually last longer, plus they still allow water, air and nutrients to reach the soil.

Read more: http://www.grit.com/garden/do-it-yo...ontrol-zm0z13mjzgou.aspx?page=2#ixzz2QGYPYJma

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome back!

I'd like to add one caveat to your suggestion. Rake off the mulch and shake out the fabric every other year or so. While weeds will NOT grow up through the fabric, weed seeds WILL take hold and grow down through them. That makes a real mess of hard to handle weeds.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
Welcome back!

I'd like to add one caveat to your suggestion. Rake off the mulch and shake out the fabric every other year or so. While weeds will NOT grow up through the fabric, weed seeds WILL take hold and grow down through them. That makes a real mess of hard to handle weeds.
Thanks.........and I kinda lean toward the "shake out", every year. The nutsedge is terrible in my neck of the woods and that stuff will come up through concrete. LOL

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have weed barriers delivered to me every day. It's called junk mail. The newspaper type flyers work great. Just remember to keep them damp till they mat together or you'll be chasing them all over the yard when the wind blows. Even Bermuda grass won't grow through them although it will creep along between the layers. If weeds manage to poke up just toss some more newspares on top of them.

Poppyseed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Never thought of using junk mail like that, great idea!