Weed or flower? Updated

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure this is a weed or flower. There are several of them. I took a picture today. They still have not opened up, but have all these pods. I opened one and kind of yellow inside. Could it be butterfly weed? Only thing I can think of is the Canterbury bells, butterfly weed or weeds.

9494_img_2668.jpg

9494_img_2666.jpg

9494_weed_or_flower_1.jpg

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
for some reason black eyed susan comes to mind when i see those leaves. but i had tons of plants (mostly weedy windflowers) that came up at the other property and it could be something that gets a tiny white flower like a tiny new england aster.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure eihter. When it happens to me I will let it grow until it proves to be one or the other. Turns out to be a weed. It gets tossed. But would hate to have pulled up a flower I THOUGHT was a weed.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll guess weed. But I do like Carol Dee and wait to see if it blooms before pulling something questionable. I once pulled a bunch of seedling phlox because they resembled a weed that I was going after. Oopsie.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure looks similar. Since it appears to be forming buds I'll bet you in a week or so you'll know for sure.
Didn't you say in another post that you had planted some blanket flower?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Sure looks similar. Since it appears to be forming buds I'll bet you in a
week or so you'll know for sure.
Didn't you say in another post that you had planted some blanket flower?
I bought one several years ago and it was planted out in the yard in the area of the peony. I dug them up and planted last year, but I do not remember where I planted it and I do not remember it blooming, but also all the dirt where these plants are now came from a box I had in another place and there were several different kinds of seeds planted in there. I have a pansy that came up too and I did not plant it, so it had to come from a seed from that dirt. The other post from Chickie'sMomaInNH made me run out the front door to go look for Blackeyed Susan seedlings. I am not sure, so I am not going to pull anything unless i know for sure. I think we have been pulling up Foxglove seedlings by mistake and daisies.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had one that looks like that in my garden all winter. I'm letting it grow to flower to see what it is. We do have some very rare wild plants up here and I don't know all of them.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I've had one that looks like that in my garden all winter. I'm letting it grow to flower to see what it is. We do have some very rare wild plants up here and I don't know all of them.
I hope it is pretty! lol I will take a picture. I have some odd things on a fence and I am not sure what they are and they could get shaded by the hollyhocks, but I do not want to dig up a bunch of weeds and transplant them either.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gaillardia grows wild here along the river banks.

It seems a little "robust" for gaillardia or black eyed susan . . .

Marshall, you are just across the valley from Portola, CA and another lake I haven't been to, Lake Davis. Anyway, Portola Giants are a gaillardia variety and they grow all over that corner of the world, too.

Steve

Latest posts