Weeds

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
dandelion aside: I'm not sure what it means that ..

. weeds from every group are in one of my gardens or the other.

If I consider smartweed as a knotweed, which it is, and maybe look real hard for the dead nettle -- every group has a representative in or around the big veggie garden. I'm thinking that garden covers too large a geographical area.

How "regional" does the weed list look to folks elsewhere? At 2,000 feet and on the dryside of a mountain range from Annette, the names on the list look all too familiar to me.

;) Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just be CAREFUL NOT to compost weeds that have gone to seed!! You will create a garden bed of them and their seeds live F O R E V E R!!!
I mowed/mulched 1st year burdock (they produce burrs in their 2nd year) and put them around my peppers. Not only did 3 inch deep of this kept all weeds from sprouting, but they are almost dirt right now. They can have a purpose.
Also, any weed that sends down roots underground (like bindweed) Can and WILL rehydrate!!! If you pull it up, throw it away (or burn it.) I have thrown it out of vegetable beds and then found it growing in my lawn.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
How regional are those weeds? From my perspective, not very. There are a few on there I've never heard of, Speedwell for example, but I looked it up. It's pretty widespread around the world, I've just never heard of it. I'm pretty familiar with most of them, some in the garden but some from elsewhere.

In my garden I have some from all those groups except the high pH (Sweet) soils. My soils are slightly acidic anyway, that's where I want them. The dry group is not well represented in the garden but I water regularly. Dry is well represented in other places around here. I'd think if you have a well-balanced garden you'll probably get some from most groups. If you have a lot of some but not many others you may need to work on your soils.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of these days I'm going to take a picture of the prolific weed in my garden that is there every year. It's not in my weed guidebook nor have I seen it on my searches online. >.< I can't imagine it is uncommon as it appears to be eeeeverywhere.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just be CAREFUL NOT to compost weeds that have gone to seed!! You will create a garden bed of them and their seeds live F O R E V E R!!!
I mowed/mulched 1st year burdock (they produce burrs in their 2nd year) and put them around my peppers. Not only did 3 inch deep of this kept all weeds from sprouting, but they are almost dirt right now. They can have a purpose.
Also, any weed that sends down roots underground (like bindweed) Can and WILL rehydrate!!! If you pull it up, throw it away (or burn it.) I have thrown it out of vegetable beds and then found it growing in my lawn.

So right, unless you are brave enough to compost them with pigeon manure and forget to cover it up :oops:. After a rainfall it starts to cook :eek: your neighbors are ready to tar and feather you but on the bright side weed seeds aren't a problem anymore;).

Annette

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a good article and quite a good list of weeds. But one thing for left out.

WEEDS THAT GROW IN A SHEEP PASTURE
none coz the sheep LOVE weeds!
Yes, sheep love weeds, but there are some that they should NOT eat. One example is lupine .... it causes abortion.

Latest posts