Weeping willow

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know how much gardeners hate weeping willows. Once while telling a client I love them, she said they where trash tree and should never be planted. Many people feel the same way. I think they are graceful and beautiful, they just need to be planted in the right spot. I have one growing in standing water; the tree is leaning at a 45 degree angle. I have to take it down this winter. I would like to plant 3 or 4 around my pond far from house and septic. They can grow has large as they want, falling limbs would be harmless.Everything I read claim they are easy to root. I once tryed in water and failed. Can I root cuttings ths time of year? I know spring would be better, but am afraid to leave tree up till then.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel much the same way about Silver Maples. I don't want them anywhere around my house. They get huge, drop limbs, are brittle, and are relatively short-lived. I've had to clean them out of a driveway with an axe (we did not have a chain saw) and one even fell on my parent's house. I hate those things around the house. But I planted them in a wood lot away from the house. In the right place, they are fine. And they are gorgeous in the fall.

In New York, I'd think you'd have lousy success trying to root willow cuttings outside now. If you have a warm suitable place you might try that inside. But I'd think if you cut that tree it will send up a bunch of suckers and shoots from the roots next spring. That might be your best bet to get something to root, or if some come up from the roots, maybe just dig up a chunk of the existing roots where one sprouts and transplant that.

Editted to add:

What do you lose by trying it. I don't think it will work, but I've been wrong before.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, that will work! If it doesn't, let me know and I will send you some branches in the spring. One of my favorite trees- if I had a pond, they would be all around it!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Put me down as another lover of weeping willow. They are a really graceful looking tree and great for the kids to play under. It's almost like being in a tent.

Latest posts