Weird Things Happening to My Computer

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought some things at Home Depot in September using a credit card ... Discover has sent me a new card. I didn't know enuf to ask, they just sent it.

This summer, the lab my wife went to had its records hacked. The lab paid for a service to monitor our credit for 12 months ... It had never occurred to me that someone could just use our ID, apply for a loan or line of credit, then wreck our credit by absconding with cash. We might or might not lose some of our own $ in the process.

A strange email showed up yesterday. It wasn't a notice of winning something or some demand for payment. It was an offer to purchase something I own. "Let me know and I can get my credit card information to you."

I didn't reply. How does this person know and I have not made any offers on the internet to sell? Phishing. That's my guess. And, when I respond to this exceedingly generous offer but say that sadly, I can't take his credit card, what then? I'd expect an offer for direct deposit. Problem is, the funds wouldn't go into my bank account, they would come out.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
the other thing you have to be cautious about when it comes to the medical records being hacked is someone could try and use your SS# for medical services. i have worked within the medical field and you'd be surprised how many times someone calls up or walks into the office and wants to give you their SS# instead of their assigned ID# for their medical appointments/bills.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's weird ...

The letter from the lab was that tracing the hack led investigators to Chinese IP's. I suppose all information is for sale, right back to US criminals.

You know, 15 years ago, I would send a letter to the state attorney general's office whenever internet scammers trying to trick me. Well, I did that twice that I remember ... almost laughable now. Of course, there was never a response, no resources for any thing of that nature.

@so lucky, Google and Yahoo and all the rest know exactly what interests you and what ad might catch your attention. It kinda tickles me when I have laundry detergent ads ... but, these people are deadly serious. I've already painted a target on my head so the Amazon drones won't have any trouble.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sigh! The pop up ads I see are all for wrinkle removers, end of life planning, and gardening supplies. Since I've never checked out the first two. . . . . someone must think I'm as ancient as I often suggest.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pop ups or when I click on something and it goes to a different site, have nothing to do with my interests. I get Russian brides! trucks, and other stuff.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do yall remember a while back when Marshall was doing this informal sort of 'study' to see how many searches he had to do before the banner ads on TEG would change to what he was looking for??? And then how many he had to do to get everyone to see them??
Wonder how that ever turned out?

Latest posts