Went out for paint came back with a tree

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH always complains that I don't HAVE A PLAN to use when deciding what and when to make new purchases. " Ya gotta have a plan!"

I am always open to seeing something I love and have to have in the yard and garden. DH? Never! Nope, not him. That's why I've been tending 10 small golden tipped arborvitae pots for the past two years. . . waiting for him to decide where he'd planned to put them when he brought them home.

Those red buds are a lovely small tree.

Love and good to be back, Smart Red

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Suddenly got a visual...

A line, three trees thick, of Redbud. In front of that, three tiered, Flowering Quince...

Add a 50 foot wild waterfall and a natural bubbling pool behind that...

You may return to reality now :p

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those redbuds really make a pretty specimen tree. You can prune on them a little bit to get some graceful, open limbs. They grow wild all over the place here and are so pretty in spring, mixed with the wild white dogwoods and the hazy colors of all the other trees just budding up.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My absolute favorite tree! Dh never understands why we need to park right next to the garden center- no matter what we need at Home Depot! You just never know what you will find...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is probably the most dangerous season of the year for garden impulse buying!

I love redbuds too, they have the most appealing foliage, and especially the new spring growth.

My sister brought one to me when she visited one year. After a bad winter when the 4+ foot tree was completely snowed under for months, it died, but resprouted from the roots. I tried to keep it growing but another hard winter and it died back to the roots again. So I threw in the towel and took it out. I'd sure like to have one though.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I read somewhere they are breeding up hardier varieties of them, plus you know the tricks, bark wrap and stuff, warm toned heat sink wall to the north of it...

Yea, mother's day weekend is the most impulse buying day of the year at nurseries, and or memorial day...