what am i ???

lurky

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi. This is a plant growing at my mothers home in Vermont. She would like to know what it is.....but i have no idea. I am hoping someone here might know. Thanks, Wendy

006.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, you got me on that one.

COuple of questions:

Are those just buds, or is that as far open as the flowers get?

Am I correct in thinking that the leaves that go with the flowers are the sort of oval-rounded ones?

Are they set in whorls, or are they opposite or alternate leaves that are just kind of mashed close together on the stem?

And, is this an annual, perennial, or a really really short woody plant?

Offhand, if that's as open as the flowers get, it looks vaguely reminiscent of a closed gentian (but they're not pink and the leaves aren't quite right), turtlehead (but it seems too early in the year, and the leaves are wrong) or corydalis (wrong leaves). I am probably missing something totally else that it actually is :p

Now you have me really curious. Am really looking forward to more info or someone else figuring it out :)

It's not a funny-lookin' very pink trailing arbutus, is it?

Highly entertained,

Pat

lurky

Sprout
Reaction score
I think it is growing wild. She bought the house and last summer was her first summer there and she did not plant this and she does not remember it being there last year. I am not sure if the flowers are going to open more because we have never seen it before and this pic was just taken. I will see if she can get a better picture. But the oval leaves/rounded leaves are belonging to this plant. I'll try to repost a new pic soon.
Thanks for trying :)

lurky

Sprout
Reaction score
OK...here is a better pic (i think)
the flower opened up a bit today.
Any clue?

004-1.jpg

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fringed Polygala or Gay Wings, Polygala paucifolia. It's in the Milkwort family, and grows in sunny spots in the woods, at the bases of trees, and along stone walls.

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! That's gorgeous!

Dawn

Latest posts