What ARE these plants??

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread with some interest b/c the first plant rings some sort of bells in the back of my head but I just could not place it.

Now I agree with Greensage (sorry beefy), I think it may very well be an Adenium, just grown in very inappropriate conditions (probably a combination of too much nutrients and too little light). Under which conditions I do not think you would necessarily expect it to form the wide base that they usually do - it's all stretched and spindly instead.

Whatever the plant is, it very definitely hasn't had enough light, but has been that way for so long that it would be quite a project to rescue and I doubt it will ever attain its proper shape and health, alas.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, so I googled the desert rose and how to propagate it. One thing I read says the cuttings do not have the swollen caudex, only seedlings. My plant, whatever it is, was started from a cutting. SO, I guess I will try to relocate it outdoors under heavy tree shade where it will still get lots of light but nothing that will scald it. We'll see what happens. I mean, the worse that could happen is I'll kill it....lol

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Also, about the kalanchoe - some of it's "branches" seem to be developing little pink roots. Should I snip these and stick 'em in some soil?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Also, about the kalanchoe - some of it's "branches" seem to be developing little pink roots. Should I snip these and stick 'em in some soil?
Yes if you want more.
You could cut that up and make a lot of plants.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yours are long from not enough light.
Ron's are thick and compact because they are getting plenty of sun.
Give yours lots of morning sun at first then more and more over time.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine could probably use a bit less sunlight, then I would have less yellowing and less red in the leaves. That's OK, because soon the sun will be setting lower and lower on the horizon and those wonderful Fall evenings begin to approach. Ummm, can you smell Fall coming?

It might be best to wait since we are nearing the end of the year. Instead get yourself a lamp with a CFL (compact Fluorescent). Remember rule of thumb is 2000 lumens is adequate for healthy adult leaf maturity and flowering, any higher on the lumens the better just not any less than 2000.

Ron

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sorry guys, this is more of a shrubby type plant. desert rose, even under optimal conditions, would take years to get that big, much less under subpar conditions even taking into account stretching. i do agree that the leaves look like desert rose and even the stem does but no desert rose would have that much green stem, even under optimal conditions. the green stem is what reminds me of a schefflera (but its not) and the leaves remind me of some kind of shrub ive seen around but i dont know the name of it. maybe a Daphne?

how long have you had plant number one?
Will you take another picture of the new growth at the base of the plant? it may be more representative of what the plant is really supposed to look like.

edit: pittosporum?! i think is the plant i've been trying to think of...maybe-