What are these seeds?

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My neighbor gave these to me , she got them from someone else. She was told that the plants repel gophers. We are going to try them and see, but I was wondering what they are called?

Monica

100_1586.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's Euphorbia lathyrus aka Gopher Purge. That's what the seeds look like.

This does help repel gophers just make sure you have the room. It tends to grow very rapidly and big and reseeds itself very well.

If you have a small gopher problem then planting a garlic, chive and onion border might also work.

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have a big gopher problem and five acres. I will start planting next week. We can't plant up here until after mother's day as we still get freezes until then.
Thanks
Monica

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you plan on planting a barrier make sure it's thick, if not they will just tunnel around it. Gophers have to actually eat the roots/plant to be repelled.

Be careful the plant can easily irritate sensitive skin, it has a milky sap.

mistylady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh hon! My grandma had those and when they came up the next year from seed ..... they were every where!!!! And the gophers just avoided them and tunneled into her garden. Just don't plant them where you don't them to be thick next year! A nice border of them would be kinda unique. They get tall. :) Good luck!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
12 species of Gopher on this continent. And all are different. 'bout the time you get one species figured out, 'n try to help someone with another species, it may not work. My gophers are Attracted to Onioins and Garlic. They have not eaten them, but soon as onions or garlic are in, count on gophers coming next.

David Harritz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I thing that the image identification of the seeds is quit hard work because most of the seeds are looking very common because the development of the seeds in the environment in nature. The color and size also match but they are different in product of the plant.

Latest posts