What are these?

Hanalei

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Anybody know what these 2 plants are? I thought maybe they were a hibiscus, since that's what was planted there before, but now that they're blooming, they're definitely not... I'm not sure whether I shoudl leave them in the boxes they're growing in or pull them out becuase I don't know if they're even weeds. The first picture has tiny pink clusters of flowers, and the second has yellow flowers that hang towards the ground. It looks similar to a pepper plant. If you want, i can post close-ups of the flowers. Thanks in advance!

9255_dsc_0525.jpg

9255_dsc_0526.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Hanalei! Welcome! :frow

The first one might be Abutilion. Google it for images to compare.

I don't know the second one. It does look pepperish, maybe some kind of nightshade weed, or possibly even an on-purpose plant.

Hanalei

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! :)

I don't think it's abutilion. The leaves look very similar, but the flowers don't. Here's close-ups of both.

9255_dsc_0521.jpg

9255_dsc_0523.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too tired, too late, too busy tomorrow AM . . .

#1: mint family, Lamiaceae - square stems, flowers like agastache, oregano or something

#2: nightshade family, Solanaceae - flower like potato

S' zzz

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure looks right to me!

Hanalei will have to decide.

If there are questions about the Motherwort, do a google image search. Some photographs show more of the plant and growth under various situations - like in heavy shade.

Good work, Dawn!

Steve zzz

Hanalei

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, cool! :) I looked them both up, and they certainly look like the right things. Thank you very much!! The first one, the motherwort, it says it's in the mint family and that it's used to treat things like insomnia, stomach cramps and gas, and menstrual issues. Can you just eat it like a mint leaf, do you know, or should you not eat it unless you have issues like those?

As for the ground cherry... sweet! I guess I won't disturb either of them then, and see if this one puts out any fruits.

Latest posts