What are they capable of?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yum! None of my lettuce came up this year :( Or spinach.

I'm going to have to do something about that for the fall. :p

lilaclady

Sprout
Reaction score
What's the difference between a greenhouse and a hoop house? Is it that the hoop house is wrapped in plastic? I inherited one such hh/greenhouse with our new house and have yet to figure out what/how to use it. I've started seedlings indoors and am quickly running out of room - would like to transition to greenhouse (or hoop house) as temps permit. But I just don't have a clear grasp of best uses of my greenhouse. It is electrified but without heater, has its own well, two vents, one small growing light, and completely overgrown (oh, forgot to mention the fig and bay trees and rosemary bush that exist inside it!)
Based on what I'm reading here, it seems I could skip hardening outdoors and move my seedlings to greenhouse daytimes? How do I decide when I can stop bringing them back inside at night? And after that, how do you decide when to plant?
I am starting so many loads of seeds and I am not looking forward to all the hauling in and out. (Sigh) Also, any quick reads on greenhouse uses for a newbie? Unrelated question - does anyone think using a fan on your seedlings dries out the soil excessively? I've used three types of potting mix and soil, and one that I've got endive in just won't hold any water, which is hard on the little guys.
Thanks everyone!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think Digits can answer your questions, but it would help to know what Zone you are when asking about heating or not. Here in Zone 7b, I don't bother using heating.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
lilaclady said:
What's the difference between a greenhouse and a hoop house? . . .
Welcome to TEG, LilacLady :frow!

There really aren't lines between the definitions of hoop houses and tunnels and greenhouses. They are all protected growing spaces. If you build them with hoops, then you can call them hoop houses or tunnels.

Someone would be hard pressed to explain the difference between these 2 structures:

High Tunnel Project . . . . . . . Hoophouse Blog

(Some tunnels are little things. I'm inclined to call those "hoopies" :).)

My own tunnel is only 5' tall but the path is excavated and the growing beds on either side are built up. It is the most rudimentary of things . . . I have a window framed in 1 end and a door framed at the other. Still, my window and door are 2 by 2's covered with plastic.

This was the interior in an earlier year. Still, it is exactly what it looks like on this gloomy morning . . . maybe it is just a little greener in there:

Greenhouses002.jpg

"Based on what I'm reading here, it seems I could skip hardening outdoors and move my seedlings to greenhouse daytimes? How do I decide when I can stop bringing them back inside at night? And after that, how do you decide when to plant?
Plastic (or glass) filters out most of the UV light. The plants are protected from sunlight inside so when they go into the open garden, they are vulnerable to burning. Cool-season seedlings can probably grow okay with overnight temperatures down to about 45F. Warm-season seedlings are better off with overnight temps about 60.

My tunnel protects the plants against low temperatures only a little. It isn't really useful for warm-season plants like tomatoes & peppers during the 1st few weeks of their lives. The transition to the outdoors can be in the tunnel for those plants, however. In May, I'm often setting plants outdoors to harden-off then putting them back on the tunnel path, for the night. There is no heat in there, however.

I used to haul plants in and out of my home because I decided NOT to heat my "greenhouse" (that other protected-growing structure in my backyard) with electricity. Life got a good deal easier when I had a gas furnace installed in there. I also used my shop for overnight protection. There's no heat in there either but it has a wood floor and it is certainly warmer than something covered with plastic.

I'll try to come up with a manual for greenhouse use but here's a real good one for construction, for those of you thinking about building a greenhouse/tunnel/hoop house/ . . .

Hobby Greenhouse Construction

Steve :frow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My greenhouse (or, "sunshed" . . . but, just ignore that name :rolleyes:):

greenhouse.jpg

And hey! I've got some white paint. It is conceivable that I will paint this green . . . uh, white . . . this "thing" this year. The cedar boards are looking really tired after a dozen years :/.

You can just see a tiny bit of the tunnel on the south side of the greenhouse - between the greenhouse and the neighbor's garage.

Steve

EDITED TO ADD: Wow! Auburn University also has a dandy Hobby Greenhouse Operations and Practices! & to replace 1 tired picture with another.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was a very difficult day, weather-wise.

53mph wind gusts . . . After a freezing start, the thermometer made it up to 45F with a lot of afternoon sun but I don't think the windchill ever made it out of the 20's. This couldn't have been a typical spring day anywhere in the country. Not terribly unusual in some places but not typical, anyway.

The greenhouse, tunnel and the plants inside - came out just fine.

The tunnel, simple plastic on all sides, can get really hot on a sunny day but it breathes in a wind. And, this was quite a wind! Closed as tight as I could make it, it never got below 60 (nor much above). It was 27 outdoors this morning but stayed above 39 in the tunnel, last night. The lettuce, Asian greens and onions in there are just fine.

The greenhouse collects sun fairly well and the temperatures began to soar in there, yesterday afternoon. I had to do my most careful venting to prevent too much wind from blasting in. It stayed below 82, at least, but would have gone much higher if I'd done nothing to open it up. Keep in mind, the fast-moving air outdoors was, at most 45.

Of course, it was comfortably warm in the greenhouse thru the night with the furnace running.

Protected Growing -- that's what it's all about. But, I'm still hoping for an early start for the gardening year.

Steve

Latest posts