What Are You Going To Over Winter ?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
green house 10:18.jpg
Brought in my flowering plants as the chill was starting to come this way.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
29 degrees at 5AM!!!!
I used an old bathroom rug and a moving blanket to cover the geraniums and wax begonias that I am bringing in this week.
At DD's we put a towel over the pot with basil and bright lights Swiss Chard. I moved the pot with all white tuberous begonias into their garage to survive. It will be going into the north facing "suicide windowed" upstairs office, right next to the only radiator IN the upstairs. Should do ok there over the winter. Everything coming in needs to do well in the chilly 2nd floor.
Gotta start winterizing windows today, but should be done them all by Halloween-ween.
We plan to have our local (IN our tiny town!) roofing/window business replace about 5 of our 60yo storm windows in the next month. I already got the estimate: $125.00/window, so it's affordable.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started some tuberous begonia bulbs outside at DD's house and couldn't see them die, so I moved them, big, heavy pot and all to my upstairs office. As you can see this room is due to be un-walpapered and painted. As you canNOT see, ALl of the flowers were white. THAT was disappointing. Still worth saving.
Tuberous Begonia brought inside, 10-18-18.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I suppose I will HAVE to bring the Roselle in; the day length requirements mean it isn't scheduled to bloom until January.

Whether any of the beans get a finishing run (time inside to finish ripening any seed) depends I suppose on what is left when that time comes.

Taking the basil in seems sort of pointless; I have plenty of seed now and it will just get woody and whiteflied (plus, I really o don't like how this one tastes)

The plants were brought in but the Roselle plan has already hit a snag. One of the two plants collapsed so the odds are that any hopes I had of flowers, calices or seeds are gone (if Roselle is like every other hibiscus I have bumped into, it is self-incompatible, so one plant = no seeds.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather has given me a break, so I can wait to take in the wax begonias and impatiens and gernaniums. and purple basil until Halloween. I had to cover all of those for a couple of weeks of 28 degree F lows.
I bought five $1 clearance mums a few weeks ago. I finally transplanted them to nice terra cotta and glazed winter-inside pots. Right now they are outside the front porch as decorations. The rain today helped them.
REMEMBER, there are few light-candles that come through even your south windows! Geraniums seem to do fine even in a north window, but herbs Really need a south facing window to make it through the winter.
Gotta keep the kitten-cats (now 6 month old) away from my basement windows with the inside flowers this winter!! One of my cats killed several laying in the pot last winter!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought some one dollar mums late season, left them outside until about a week ago, left them on the porch until the other day, heavily watered them, now they are upstairs for the winter. Since all indoor plants dry out too fast I have bagged them with shopping bags. I find that the hardware stores package up with heavy plastic bags, but the grocery stores bags are itching to break.
DD and I just picked a few more bags up Black Friday shopping.
Btw, my 3 kittens that DH and I saved this year have made it IMpossible to keep any plants going in the winter. Tomorrow afternoon it is going to pour and I have to clean up dirt that is from a dumped planted in my pantry. ALL of the plants now in the basement will soon be upstairs. My house had doors everywhere and no animals (except for the marvelous and NON destructive "Pyg", my 10yo dog) are allowed upstairs so as to limit the trashing!! :barnie:barnie:barnie
I think I will try to mouse traps, too. Fortunately, when one kitten rushes the upstairs door and gets trapped, she loses interest and cries at the bottom of the stairs to escape.

Latest posts