What are you planting "new to you" this year?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, they were in a window box planter. The flower were much bigger than I expected for flax!
Absolutely gorgeous. I grew quite a few flowers that were new to me last year, and it can be so tricky. You have no idea what their form is, or how tall they will grow, or what their root system is like. In some instances, such as your scarlet flax, it is just a wonderful surprise!

Garrett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm trying to grow a melon for the first time, the Minnesota Midget. That's the main new thing, otherwise several new varities of tomato, pepper and beans too.

I received two different types of achocha seeds in seed swaps too so I'm going to try one of those. Reading about it, I can't figure out if I'd like it so I'm just going to have to try it and see.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm trying to grow a melon for the first time, the Minnesota Midget. That's the main new thing, otherwise several new varities of tomato, pepper and beans too.

I received two different types of achocha seeds in seed swaps too so I'm going to try one of those. Reading about it, I can't figure out if I'd like it so I'm just going to have to try it and see.
I am also interested in Minnesota Midget, but I have several other varieties that I will try first.

Another new vegetable that I will try this year is Radicchio (leaf chicory).

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am also interested in Minnesota Midget, but I have several other varieties that I will try first.

Another new vegetable that I will try this year is Radicchio (leaf chicory).
Phaedra I also bought a pack of radicchio seeds after reading this 'Radicchiology' article:

They say that timing is very important with these seeds. I will have to make a note for myself, so I don't forget about them by late June or early July.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Annual Golden Flax is particularly intriguing for me, as it is recommended for inter-cropping with chick peas to help keep their branches aloft. In this instance the 'golden' refers to the colour of the seed; it also has pretty light blue flowers. 🌼
So far the combination of Golden Flax with chick peas is a fantastic. The flax was started indoors for about three weeks, and the chickpeas were sowed indoors about 11 days before being planted out. They all went in the ground on the same day at the end of March. Now, two months later, the flax is blooming and the chick peas are nice and upright. Last summer I grew chickpeas on their own, and they slumped and sagged all over the place. A stellar pairing in my view.

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_104426346_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230526_104426346_HDR.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts