What are you planting right now/fall

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in Zone 5B, right on the edge of Zone 6. Is it possible to grow beet greens this late in the season?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am curious about that too, CountryGirl.

When I have planted beet seed in the summer heat, the seed germinates just fine. But, the leaves of the tiny plants turn the color of their roots and the plants refuse to grow!

Even after things cool down, they can't get with the program. Maybe planting the seed after temperatures cool would work but we are getting very close to frost by that time.

Steve

Patman75

Leafing Out
Reaction score
CountryGirl said:
Hi,

I'm in Zone 5B, right on the edge of Zone 6. Is it possible to grow beet greens this late in the season?
Acoording to what I have read you can after things cool down, mid-september. I was planning on it but I have so many beets from the spring I'm good for the rest of the year.

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in Zone 8a and I'm planting vates collards. This week I'm going to try to get some broccoli plants and cauliflower plants for our fall garden.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I am curious about that too, CountryGirl.

When I have planted beet seed in the summer heat, the seed germinates just fine. But, the leaves of the tiny plants turn the color of their roots and the plants refuse to grow!

Even after things cool down, they can't get with the program. Maybe planting the seed after temperatures cool would work but we are getting very close to frost by that time.

Steve
I have had no luck with beets at all this year, spring or july attempt. Horrible germination, and even the ones that sprout dont DO anything, just like you said! Dont even make enough greens to eat. I think i'll try again next year tho...i really want beets :/

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in zone 8b/9a and a while back I started seeds for tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, corn, and summer squash. I finally put them in the ground Monday. Should have done it about two weeks ago! Also, last week I planted peas. Planted the seeds directly in the soil for those and then also direct sowed blue bush garden beans. Yesterday we started clearing a small out of the way area of the yard (about 4x4. maybe a little bigger) I have 3 tomato plants left that need a place and I think I might stick something small in with those. Carrots would be great, but I'm not sure I can plant them right now. Think I can, but I'd have to check. Never thought I could plant some much in my little yard, but then I read square foot gardening! Thank You Mel!!!!

CarolynF

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm kind of late to the game, but I'm wondering if I could plant spinach and expect to get anything this late? I'm in zone 8a I think -- Kitsap Peninsula, Washington State. Our days are in the low 60s now, and nights in the low 40s. Any ideas?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
CarolynF said:
I'm kind of late to the game, but I'm wondering if I could plant spinach and expect to get anything this late? I'm in zone 8a I think -- Kitsap Peninsula, Washington State. Our days are in the low 60s now, and nights in the low 40s. Any ideas?
I'm told that spinach overwinters well, Carolyn. So, you could get a very early crop in 2012.

I continually forget to sow spinach seed at some appropriate time (probably, mid-September here). However, I do a "clean cultivation" to prep the gardens for winter. Sometimes, I leave a corner or 1 bed untilled but not usually. Still, I could find some out-of-the-way spot for spinach.

Too late here I think since we will be into frost probably by next week. I don't think that would be true for you until November so you could try the overwinter approach.

Steve

CarolynF

Sprout
Reaction score
digitS' said:
CarolynF said:
I'm told that spinach overwinters well, Carolyn. So, you could get a very early crop in 2012.

I continually forget to sow spinach seed at some appropriate time (probably, mid-September here). However, I do a "clean cultivation" to prep the gardens for winter. Sometimes, I leave a corner or 1 bed untilled but not usually. Still, I could find some out-of-the-way spot for spinach.

Too late here I think since we will be into frost probably by next week. I don't think that would be true for you until November so you could try the overwinter approach.

Steve
Thanks Steve,
I hadn't thought of planting the spinach now for an early crop next spring, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I do have a few very small plants that were hiding under the leaves of some neighboring large greens. I transplanted them to the area where the peas grew earlier this year. Hopefully they will grow for me before they freeze. I'd use water walls, but the raccoons have shredded those every time I use them in the fall! Never in the spring, just in the fall, go figure! I found a few puny kale, too. Moved them to the same spot. My chickens really love kale, collard, broccoli greens, and kohlrabi leaves so I've been trying to think of a way to have them throughout the winter. Spinach if for the people. :)

Latest posts