What can be grown in pots?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I wondering what can be grown in pots that we can eat? Fruit and veggies needed. Also im a newbie in a big way. Any plants that would be good to start with?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi ninny,

Search "container vegetables". Found a good link and tried to list it for you, but for some reason it wouldn't access from here.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The book "Square foot gardening" might be handy to read through as well, as this method could be used for container gardening. It gives you an idea of how many seeds for the different veggies could be planted in a given area.

Obvious starters would be radish, lettuce, tomato's, but depending on the space you have, container size, and what you like to eat, you could grow almost any veggie, perhaps other than corn.

Large containers can actually be a good way to grow spuds. Easy to harvest when mature..Squash, or cucumbers, trained on a trellis above the containers should work as well.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What area of the country are you in? That makes a big difference. Without some careful thought, container gardening where I am can be a death sentence for the poor plants :p

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
What area of the country are you in? That makes a big difference. Without some careful thought, container gardening where I am can be a death sentence for the poor plants :p
I think zone 5? Im in illinois

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok...you are in the midwest...more humid environment.

You should have a pretty easy time.

I have these moisture retaining crystals I add to all of my containers otherwise they dry out in less than a day. I also have to avoid tera cota pots or line the pots with plastic.

I have pepper plants and basil growing inside right now.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninny said:
wifezilla said:
I think zone 5? Im in illinois
I'm in Zone 5 too....most veggies do well in containers here....you just have to keep on top of the watering and try to find shorter / more compact varieties of some things.

I've grown herbs, mesclun, tomatoes, bell peppers, ground cherries, and bush green beans in containers with good luck. In 2010, I would like to try carrots and kohlrabi in containers....and probably other things too.....still waiting for more seed catalogs to come in....:D

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Neat! How would strawberries do in window box? Im thinking of growing most stuff in them so i don't have to fence off a lot this year from the chickens.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think strawberries would do great in a window box.

Another thing....the more soil, and the bigger the pot you have, the better. :thumbsup

With all my containers (especially veggies) I like to start with fresh potting soil each year. It means more nutrients for the plants and less likelihood of passing along disease. I like to invest in a nice, light potting mix that drains well and I always get good results. Getting the right soil for your containers is very important IMHO....:old

...oh yeah, and good drainage is important too! :old :lol: