What can I do with all these hot peppers??

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hubby brought home a load of jalepeno and either cyanne or serrano chilis(I can't tell) I don't know what to do with all of them!! We make our meals a little spicey, but not enough to go through what he brought home! He has a farmer relative and a couple of times during the season comes home loaded with vegatables... I'd love some advice on what to do with the peppers!

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dry them ( string and hang or dehydrate), pickle or pressure can them, use them in your salsas or pickle recipes. Or give them to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holachicka said:
Hubby brought home a load of jalepeno and either cyanne or serrano chilis(I can't tell) I don't know what to do with all of them!! We make our meals a little spicey, but not enough to go through what he brought home! He has a farmer relative and a couple of times during the season comes home loaded with vegatables... I'd love some advice on what to do with the peppers!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pickle them
Dry them and then make them in to a pepper powder for cooking
Have a party and make jalapeno poppers for the whole crowd
Make pepper jelly (tastes great on meat :D )
Roast them and make green chili with pork :drool
Put them in a large box and mail them to my house :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just made 6 jars of hot pepper jelly from hot peppers, chilies and bell peppers I had. I have a ton of chilies drying still to make chili powder for the winter. You know I like my chili HOT and whenever I feel achy when its cold out. :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Put your peppers into large jars (gallons if you can find them) and just bring some vinegar to a boil and pour it over them. that's all you need to do. they will keep I don't know how long but I've had some last over a year that way. Not only does it give you peppers when you want them you can use the vinegar for a spicy salad drssing.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I mince them and ferment them and then the jar goes onto the dinner table when I am serving something hot...chili, nachos, etc. People can then kick their plate up a notch or two by adding the peppers. I also made some fermented salsa that was a huge hit...cuke salsa and tomato salsa....that didn't make it past January before getting devoured. If you have cool storage space in a cellar or second fridge, fermenting is SO much less labor intensive than canning. And the resulting product is very high in nutrients such as vitamin C (destroyed by canning but multiplied up to ten times by fermenting!) and very easy on the digestive system, being loaded with probiotics. The fermenting process gives it the vinegary flavor. Oh, no vinegar to buy, either. You use water and salt.

If you have a family like wifezilla's, though, salsa will never get a chance to ferment before it is devoured! :lol:

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Aint that the truth!!! :gig

This year I am having trouble getting the hot peppers out of the garden before my son snags them :p

Fortunately he doesn't know what the chilitepins are for ...bwaa haa haa!

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We forgot to plant hot peppers this year. Fortunately I still have plenty in the freezer and dehydrated ones too.

I froze lots of them in past years and they keep the heat!!! To use them I sometimes cut them up while still frozen, other times we thaw them out. Freexing them is easy. Just put on cookie tray til frozen, then transfer to plastic bag. We have a vacuum sealer and seal them in small batches.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Holachicka said:
Hubby brought home a load of jalepeno and either cyanne or serrano chilis(I can't tell)
Cayenne will be really long and skinny and deep red, maybe 5-6". Serrano are shorter and a little fatter, about 2.5 to 3 inches and have a smokey hot flavor.

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes! to all of the above and, at my house, we also blanch tham them stuff them into bottles of vodka. Makes a very lively Bloody Mary! :p

Latest posts