What can i grow inside?

roosterboy

Sprout
Reaction score
What can i grow inside this winter? I don't really care what it is but i don't have much room. I live in new jersey but my room is about 70*. I just want some ideas about what i could take outside in spring if i wanted to or keep it in my room.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You mean something edible or just anything?

For non-edibles, I have some Christmas cactus that is very pretty (getting ready to bloom right now) and some schefflera (sp) and a peace lily.

If you wanted edibles... hmm... well, any number of things if you had a big enough box of dirt, I guess. :lol:

Tell me more about what you are looking for.

Cassandra

roosterboy

Sprout
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter. I just like growing things. If i need to be more specific an edible that doesn't need much room or something that looks cool without like being a flower. I mean not like a single flower but multiple flowers is fine.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Strawberries can be grown in hanging baskets in a sunny window. Failing that you can grow strawberries in, jeez, I've seen triple-thick plastic grocery bags with holes punched in them used to grow strawberries.

Lettuces, spinach, salad greens are all easy to grow in a window box. If you have a grow light, you could do tomatoes and peppers--peppers in gallon size pots (or plastic gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off) and tomatoes in those plastic 5 gallon buckets. It's hard to get enough light on tomatoes and peppers without a grow light though.

Can do any kind of herbs indoors, too. Right now I've got lemon verbena, rosemary, scented geraniums indoors.

You mentioned not like a flower, but have you seen some of the weirder-looking orchids? They are not very hard to grow and have all sorts of odd-looking shapes. Two of mine have flowers like little brown spiders, they're not very girly at all.

Trying to think what else I have in the house that isn't a flower. Aloe plants are nearly indestructible. I've got some growing on my kitchen counter right now, which are splits from a plant I bought at a grocery store for $1 in 1995.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was just brainstorming...

Obviously, you can buy any number of different potted plants at walmart for ten dollars. And that doesn't require any imagination. So, I will assume you wanted to do something different...

Seems like you could take a good sized plastic or Styrofoam cooler and put rocks in the bottom and use that as a base for a few of those triple thick plastic grocery bag growing sacks that Rosalind mentioned. If you wanted to grow a tomato or pepper plant, you could probably get at least four to six of those bags in your average cooler. That would make it easy to divert a lamp over it. You could also grow an herb in each sack if you didn't want to do the other.

I know they sell those rosemary topiaries at walmart (and other garden) centers this time of year. Some people like to decorate them for christmas, but you could use it for culinary uses.

Cassandra

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my mom used to keep parsley and a couple other herbs inside. They are pretty easy and when you have to cut them you can freeze them and they grow right back.

Latest posts