What can I plant right now?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm in zone 7b and itching to get started, I've got those 6 new beds ready for planting and am wondering what veggies I can plant now, is it too early for beets, lettuces, rutabaga or whatever else. Also I lost a good site that gave me good planting time info in my area, does anyone know of a good site for this info. Any help would be great, I don't have much time to research, I'm remodeling my kitchen so time is at a premium... :hu Oh, and should I start tomato plants now or wait a bit? :idunno

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
With our weird winter, who knows for sure :rolleyes:

I'm in zone 6, though, and planted lettuce outside yesterday. I'm also going to jump the gun and get some green peas in today. Tomatoes are started in the house with plans of moving them out in late March-early April with protection.
Where you are, if you're able to provide some protection in case Mother Nature looks at the calendar, you should be fine with greens and things like broccoli that don't mind cool weather.

Oh, and good luck with the kitchen remodel! Did mine last fall, and it sure is worth all the aggravation!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't see any harm in starting any of those things you mentioned- as long as you are willing to provide cover, in the case of a cold snap... It is a bet I would be willing to take. If you lose, you lost a few seeds. If you win, you will have earlier veggies.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You're right Lesa, I think I'll start with lettuce. Desertcat, Thanks for the good luck wish, quite the mess to live with.. I'm about 20 miles south of Charlotte NC, like you I'm gonna start tomatoes inside and put them out mid April. I started beets, peas, lettuces February 15 last year but had a couple cold snaps after that but had covers for the beds that I no longer have so I'm kind of hesitant. Good luck with your plantings, but like Lesa said if a cold snap kills your crop the only thing you have to lose is a few seeds. :tools

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey trunk, I'm taking a chance starting potatoes right now...

Going out today and going to try some radish, spinach, pak choi, lettuce & cabbage. With the mild weather I look at it this way, if I don't plant until I did last year and we end up with a warm spring I most likely will lose my cool weather crop. On the other end, we get a cold snap and the plants start I may or may not lose them. If I do, I'll save some seed for a replant if I need to. Can't save anything if I wait and plant too late, rather risk too early because this season is being so weird I can't even guess whats going to work or not!!! :rolleyes:

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem, come to think of it last year was a warm spring and my cool weather crop was a bit bleak but still somewhat productive. I might go to my local farmers exchange today and buy a few seeds, can't wait to see greenery again.. :)

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, you guys.... you know this warm weather is a fluke, right? It is not really spring, and there is coldness on the way. I'm itching to plant as much as you are but dont want to waste my time and suffer the disapointment that I fear is coming. If you can stand the risk, go for it, but I am going to wait, for fear of another April snow like we had one time!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you're worried it is too early just plant out short beds for experimentation. Your loss is a few cents worth of seeds. Every year is different. You can also try some row tunnels to extend you season.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Winter is coming. I just saw that Colorado and Kansas are going to get slammed with a winter storm tomorrow and Saturday. Blizzard type conditions and big bunches of snow. I don't know if it will get up to us but if it doesn't it will be heading south. Check it out.

Latest posts