what can I still plant?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know it is very late in the season.. But it has taken us longer to get our garden beds functioning. I live in zone 8b and on some maps zone 9.

what can I still plant?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A lot.

Assuming you can get it in the form of transplants or start the seed now. We're in zone 8b also and are still planting stuff.

You could probably successfully grow:

early to mid season tomatoes (or late assuming you can extend the growing season)
early corn (we plant our last crop in mid-August)
radishes
cucumbers
zucchini
yellow squash
peppers

The key is to get most of the stuff in the ground as quickly as possible so it can soak up the next few months of sun and then start producing fruits into the late summer/early fall. And then you can start planting your winter garden.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good ideas. I also thought of: carrots, beets, green onions, pearl onions, patty pans, and herbs like basil, parsley, marjoram, savory, and cilantro.

If you are looking for permanent plantings, you could start rosemary, thyme, sage etc. Do you have, or want, mint?

If you plant some flowers, like some nicotiana and calendulas, you'll get plants no matter what, and maybe flowers, but early in the season next year you'll have flowers for early color, but also to attract beneficial bugs. Nicotiana also smells good, and catches white flies. Those are but 2 of many choices. I planted both of those (I used California Mix Calendulas.) late in June last year, and that was my experience. :)

Latest posts