what causes 'beaks' on sides of tomatoes?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sure expect that carrot to show up on ebay! Give it a name and see if anyone will buy it!

I'll usually get at least one if not dozens upon dozens of beaked tomatos every year. Some have even had multiple beaks! One year there was a q tip shaped beak on the side of one. Usually it happens on the "early girls" more so than the "romas" and very rarely on the cherry types. I've got a whole whopping 6.5lbs of tomatoes this year... last year at this very date I had 170lbs.... no home made pasta sauce, tomato soups, or roasted tomatoes this year. :/ Harvesting/harvested all the corn as baby corn becuase there is no way anything silking in september would ever produce a mature ear out here.

Kwynn

Sprout
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I've wondered for years and now have a chance to ask where maybe somebody knows the answer :)

You know what I'm talking about? How sometimes a tomato will develop a pointy 'nose' sticking out of the side of it? Photos used to show up in Organic Gardening magazine all the time (back in the good old days) dressed up as Groucho Marx or chickens or things like that.

I've gotten a whole lot of them this year; some years I get none.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Pat
this is my boy tomato from last year

Latest posts