What could be better???

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy day at work today... running late by dinnertime. This is when I really love gardening. Ran down to the basement and grabbed a jar of canned fingerling potatoes, a jar of green beans and a jar of applesauce (our first made with our own apple harvest.) Popped a ham steak on the grill, and warmed up the canned goodies. A wonderful meal! We truly enjoyed the fruits of our labor tonight... What could be better?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You put some effort and time in up front, Lesa, but it is really nice to enjoy the fruits of your labor like that. And it does make a quick but delicious meal real possible.

When I butcher my chickens I save certain parts for chicken broth. When I make the broth I pick the cooked meat off and freeze that in serving sized portions. Then I use that chicken broth when I make vegetable soup. I grow practically all the herbs and veggies that go in the chicken broth and I grow all the veggies that go in that vegetable soup.

Our quick meal for two – open a quart of vegetable soup, add some cooked chicken and heat it up. Get some cheese and crackers. Now that is a quick meal with very little effort or mess preparing it and it cleans up really easily.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner- I love making soup from my freezer camp chickens...I have tried to freeze some of the cooked meat, as you suggest. It seems to get freezer burned awfully quick? I haven't canned soup yet. That is definitely on my to do list. Your "meal for two" sounds perfect!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love my vacuum sealer! Stuff lasts nearly *forever* if you get all of the air out. I found some red peppers in the freezer from 3 years ago, still perfectly good, no freezer burn at all.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa, sounds like a wonderful meal after a trying day! You are right, what could be better than that? :clap

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love my vacuum sealer! Stuff lasts nearly *forever* if you get all of the air out. I found some red peppers in the freezer from 3 years ago, still perfectly good, no freezer burn at all.
It might be time for me to get a new sealer. Mine is 25 years old and I never really liked it. Maybe they have improved a lot. (Or maybe it is operator error :/)
What kind do you have? Mine would lose the seal and I would have to slip them into ziplocks anyway.
I find I freeze less and less stuff and can more and more.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine is a Foodsaver, Model# 750, bought maybe 8 years ago. I'm sure the newer ones are even better.

There's a lot of stuff that I used to freeze that I now sometimes can (now that I'm more proficient with my pressure canner.) But for bulk meats and certain fruit/veggies that don't hold up well to canning or I couldn't otherwise get the desired consistency (i.e. for stir-frying) the vac is fast and easy.

Latest posts