What did I Just Read?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever read something that is just a bit technical and wondered if you'd - at least - gotten the gist of it?? Sometimes it is difficult to even organize the words to catch the central idea.

Okay, I may be reaching a bit by suggesting the following but, Hey(!), it is fun. It is creating a "Word Cloud" out of the text. You can do that in Wordle (click).

Let's say that you read something about the possibility of severe weather in Oklahoma. So, you check it out in the forecast discussion on the Weather Service website. You aren't left with any feeling of panic for those OK folks you know but you'd like to take another look at that forecast. Just so you get that central idea of what is being said. Tornadoes? Is that really much of concern for the people in western & central Oklahoma today?

You can go to Wordle, paste the words of the forecast in and see which words were used most often. Words like "the" and "a" are automatically edited out so the word cloud doesn't show all of those. However, if a word like "severe" is used often - there it will be in LARGE LETTERS!

This image is a little unclear but that's because it is just a captured screenshot. If you want to print something off Wordle, it works really well. I suppose that those prints would make nice posters!

4989_ok_weather.png

You can also publish your word cloud in Wordle's public gallery. I thought about doing that . . . you would be able to see a crisp image on your monitor right now but . . . Oklahomans will get some thunderstorms, a few heavy rains and maybe some small hail. There is a chance of tornadoes but it doesn't look like it is a real good chance - or, BAD chance. Anyway, that's my interpretation of things by looking at the "clouds."

;)

Be safe OK people :).

Steve

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here in Henryetta we got 2.5 inches overnight and a lot of thunder, wind, and lightening. Sulfer got over 9 inches and people had to be rescued from the flooding (according to the news the morning)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is this evenings news story in a word cloud (which doesn't do it justice :rolleyes:):

You can click on the picture to see it larger.

Steve

Latest posts