What do you all do with Wild Blueberries?

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've found LOADS of them where we plan to put the goats in the spring... but they're teeny tiny... What can I do with them? LOL

2717490907_17105f34bb.jpg

The Mustard Seed Gardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They look like Huckleberries! Yum! you can make pie, jelly/jam, freeze them and use them for later. They are sweeter then the cultivated blue berry. When I was growing up they were all over the place in upstate New York. YUM! :p

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Man... I tasted them and they tasted just like blueberries to me, which is why I let the boys eat the ones they picked off the bush.

We've got LOADS of them... at least 3/4 of an acre is covered in these bushes. But I think it'd take forever to gather enough for any edible amount. LOL

Reaction score
We love mom's homemade jellies! We pick them and she makes it for us :). Nothing like a great mom.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh man, you are SO LUCKY! :p Whaddaya mean 'what do you do with them'?? EAT THEM, before something else does! :p Not much is better than wild blueberries, IMHO.

If you want to save some for later, since the season is pretty short, freeze the extras (dry, loose) in a single layer on a cookie sheet til they are hard and then package into freezer bags (press out as much air as possible).

Personally I'd reconsider putting the goats there; or try to relocate as many plants as possible first. The plants themselves will vanish probably within weeks of goats hitting the plant and then you're outta blueberries permanently.

Have fun,

Pat

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Oh man, you are SO LUCKY! :p Whaddaya mean 'what do you do with them'?? EAT THEM, before something else does! :p Not much is better than wild blueberries, IMHO.

If you want to save some for later, since the season is pretty short, freeze the extras (dry, loose) in a single layer on a cookie sheet til they are hard and then package into freezer bags (press out as much air as possible).

Personally I'd reconsider putting the goats there; or try to relocate as many plants as possible first. The plants themselves will vanish probably within weeks of goats hitting the plant and then you're outta blueberries permanently.

Have fun,

Pat
Thanks Pat :) You always come threw. :lol: I think I'll cut some of the area short for the goat pen and extend it the other way down the logging road. These bushes are all the underbrush and they're thick. I don't want to lose all of them, so I'll try and fence off as much as I can.
Thanks for the freezing tip too. I just bought a chest freezer today, so that'll work great :)

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ice cream :D Im so jealous Ive never seen any wild ones around here but my aunt in NH had them, they are so little and sweet.

KB3GZW

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ShellieESterling said:
Man... I tasted them and they tasted just like blueberries to me, which is why I let the boys eat the ones they picked off the bush.

We've got LOADS of them... at least 3/4 of an acre is covered in these bushes. But I think it'd take forever to gather enough for any edible amount. LOL
There's a place near Bake Oven Knob in Central Eastern PA, if you are familiar with it. I go up there with friends and take a couple of 32 oz Nalgene bottles and spend two hours to fill a bunch up and have my mom make pies out of them. I think next time I will can some in jam.

I WISH I had a bunch of plants on my property. These are definately smaller but taste WAY better.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pies and syrup. Dried for baking.

Try putting a tarp or sheet down and shaking.

Honestly if it's like the mulberries at our old place between the kids, DH and animals snacking, there was rarely enough bulk to do anything with. The kids would come back in with stained hands and mouths and a nearly empty bucket. :lol: So I'd just bake the little bits I would get in muffins or pancakes.

Latest posts