What Do You Bring In For Winter ?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aftermidnight, I love that coleus!

Larissa, I love the second one of yours too with those fall colored leaved!

I don't bring anything indoors. :p

Mary

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put the dwarf lime trees in the greenhouse. Also the hanging baskets, the spider plants & my prized mother-in-law's tongues that normally reside on the porches.

wrr961-jpg.5245

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bringing in for me is usually done as a sort of "endgame" thing, with plants being brought in if they are near completing their seeds and just need a few extra weeks. And this year that doesn't amount to much. All the common beans are done, the one remaining cowpea has neither bloom nor sign of bloom, and the lone rice bean that has pods is in the ground and immovable (I've tried but you can't dig them up without shocking them to lose the pods, and since the pods are the whole point it would be useless)

The senna has the same problem as the rice bean, the pot is too big to fit inside (I think)

That leaves the finger millet as being the only thing that gets a ticket insider, to finish ripening the grain. In fact, if (through my research) I find out finger millet has a tendency for the heads to shatter upon ripening, it may be in my interest to bring it inside even if it isn't climatically necessary, so that the falling seeds wind up in my storage vials and not local birds' stomachs.

I suppose I could also bring in the Cuban oregano/ Spanish thyme, but since I end up eating it all up over the winter anyway (it doesn't die over the winter indoors, but it stops growing and so gets used up) and replacement plants are easily obtained in Chinatown in the spring, there seems little point.

Latest posts