what do you grow for your livestock?

Shiloh Acres

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm going to have to start growing for my livestock. Feed has just gotten too high ... went up twice since the new year and I'm paying 35% more for most of it. I'm starting to look into bulk, and what I can plant for the animals.

I didn't purposely grow anything for them last year, except the winter rye. I would have re-planted the clover if I could have. It's coming back in the places it was thickest last year though.

I did get a nice crop of tomatoes and peppers. I shared them with the goats, the ones that were damaged in some way. They LOVED them. I didn't think the peppers would go over well, but I had one girl who absolutely inhaled them. I used to call her my piggie-goat though ... she would eat anything.

The geese would come up and try to steal tomatoes from the goats, and vice-versa.

I let the goats clean out the garden (controlled, only a bit each day) once the plants were spent. They found ALL the remaining tomatoes and peppers too. :)

I plan to grow a LOT more for them this year, out of necessity. But I've only just been gathering information on it for a month or so now.

I wouldn't mind finding a source for mangels, with what I hear about them. Most of the rest of it is findable. :)

Oh, they did take out my blackberries and a few rosebushes last year, but that wasn't supposed to be for them. The blackberries volunteered in unfortunate places, and one of the kids got out and got to the rosebushes. I have better locks on the gates now. ;)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i noticed last week my chicken feed jumped $2 from the week or so before! :/ i'm trying to convince my dh that it would be good to let me grow what we need for the chickens. that way i sort of know what they are consuming!

ohiogoatgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
new list of things i'm growing for the livestock:
indian corn
peas
mangels
pumpkin
parsnip
turnip
sunflower
millet
amaranth

anyone keep a worm compost bin? interested in how that would work.