What do you like best about the region that you live in?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I have it from reliable sources that after the San Andreas fault splits open everything to the East will sink and only California will be left. ;)
please reread that source, i think you had it upside down next big quake california will be a island state and the rest will still be intact :lol:

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are so many beautiful places I would love to live. I love N Idaho and Eastern WA. I love the trees, lakes and wildlife, but I also love being here on the High Desert of Oregon, under the massive fault block. I love just about anyplace that hasn't been rearranged and touched by man. Concrete, Asphalt and Starbucks just doesn't agree with me. I love the ruggedness of this place and most of all, I love that my neighbors are a minimum of 20 miles away on any side of us, except for the crew here. Goes along with being an introvert, I guess :hide

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love it here and I will never move. I won't brag about my favorite things because I don't want to encourage a population explosion! :p

I think it's wonderful how we all seem to be content with our regions. I enjoy hearing about everyones struggles and successes with gardening. It gives me a broader perspective.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
as thislebloom said there's nothing to see here, just beautiful farm land being turned into subdivisions. what a shame.
but one thing I will brag about is that we do have the northern headwaters of the haw river starting on our property.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like living in east Texas because we have thick pine forest, diversity of plant and wild life. (just too many people-I wish they'd uh-been happier with where they came from) :/ I like Texas in general because we were our own country before we joined the United States and became a state. There is very little federal land because Texas was never a territory. There are 5 distinct climate and geographical areas. North Texas is the high plains, south Texas is sub tropical and along the Mexican border and also borders the Gulf of Mexico. West Texas is dry, has mountains (not as high or majestic as what many of you have, but hey, they are mountains) East Texas is forested and timber is a big industry. Lots of lakes and water. Central Texas is limestone hills, scrub oak, lakes and it is beautiful in a rugged way.

Where I live is about an hour and a half to the Gulf of Mexico, about the same to Louisana, an hour to Houston, but is a very small town of about 6,000 people.

It is hot and humid. Hot. Hot. Hot. Yup, Texas is good practice if you've been bad in life and expect to go to hell. :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, here in the middle of the US, I'm trying to think of things I love about Southeast MO. We have a long growing season, but it gets hot and humid like the southern states--probably not quite as bad. There are beautiful natural land formations, lots of deep valleys and rugged rocky hills, caves and cliffs. I am in the "foothills of the Ozarks," the oldest mountains in the US. The forests are absolutely gorgeous in the fall and the spring. But Spring gets shorter with every year. It was about a week long this year, I think!
We also have poison ivy and sumac, and chiggers and ticks galore. We have cottonmouths, copperheads, and rattle snakes.
There are 3 natural artesian wells within 1/2 hour of my house. We have lots of rivers and clear creeks, good fishing for "pan fish." Lots of deer, turkeys, and increasingly, sporatic black bear and cougars.
I love Missouri, but I would move to the Northwest or to the Rocky Mountains in a heartbeat if I didn't have family here that needs me.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Always that I can remember, as a kid, who knows but maybe even before, I dreamed of living in the woods, near the coast. They became redwoods as I got older.

Raised in Sonoma County, part of what is called the Redwood Empire. The Redwood Empire is pretty much the northwest part of California. Sonoma County's population has grown huge. The middle part of it is one huge megalopolis. In 1986 I moved to southwest Montana, zone 4, barely. Wellp, discovered I enjoy the cold winters there more than most who were born there. Plants there, that can grow there, are amazing to me. For most of them, it is not so much the total maximum cold as, they can survive year to year on such a short growing season. So that was a big change, and I learned a lot. But for 21 years there, I sorely missed the full growing season. Santa Rosa Sonoma County, well, it grew way too much, just chockablock with humans. Jam packed. If you are not already moving forward before the light turns green you get honked at by some city slicker runt.

So I got the opportunity to move up here to Lake Pillsbury where a job might be available for me. Ya know, I got the job and place I now have almost exactly 5 years ago.

I am 200 feet or so from the "coast" of the lake. My cabin is in the woods. There is even one double trunked, tall and beautiful Redwood tree 40 feet from where I sit, right out my window, and the lake, all blue, with the occasional wakeboard boat zooming along on it, is also right out my window.

Where I am is the dream place I dreamt of to live since...forever.

=====

It is zone 8a here. Well, 3 winters in a row now this spot has not gotten colder than 21.7. Was it 23.7 this winter once? It snows here. Not as heavy or as often, nor near as cold as southwest Montana, but there can be wet snowfalls of a foot or more. Snow usually happens a few times in December and January, and diminishes a lot in the following months. Was it 3 years ago that a light flurry of snow, what I call warm snow, happened on June 3rd? Snowed when it was 40 degrees. Then that year, the summer breeze hit June 8th. Not much spring that year. Normally though snow happens december and january, then a few light flurries february to April maybe. Usually it rains a good amount in winter here.

This year spring was looooooooooong! Still is a touch of the spring breeze some days. Today for example. Unusual, but I like it. Wet part of the year is from October to April, but we are having a drought cycle year. Has not rained much since...thinking...January? Small rains since then not amounting to much.

Yes, we get 4 seasons here, usually. Fall starts like summer part B. Indian Summer. Then cools off nicely, like fall should. Winter seems to start December 7th around here. All out I mean. Last season my first real garden ending frost did not happen until December 1st. Ya know, after 21 years in Montana where a garden lasting past September first is true bonus time, lasting to December 1st is mind blowing. And then this spring! Last frost at my garden and cabin was february 28th. Course it was not very warm at first, but I planted the peas March 16th. Flowering right now.

There are so many wildflowers here. Unreal. I saw 2 places with subdwarf Irises that I can't find any reference to. Orchids. 4 kinds of California Tulips, Calichortus. I want some writer of botany to come here and list the flora, just of the lake basin! It'd be a good sized book.

=====

The hills here are the Coast Range. Also a very old range. So far they have not fallen into the sea, at least not since I guess the Devonian, and that asteroid 65 million years ago couldn't knock these hills into the sea. So, if the rest of the state sinks, I'll man this island. It'll all be good. I have some life preservers. Even have a small boat. If there's a tidal wave I'll go up Hull Mountain to ride it out. Not sure If I can get my boat up that road though. Fact, that last mile my ole car'd never make. Hafta hike that part.

Actually, the seabed slides down under us here. The edge of that is about 50 miles off the coast, about 100 miles west of here. The coast of the pacific is about 50 miles west as the raven flies. Something like that.

Hoodat, the opposite side of the lake looks like it's about even with my eyes! Optical delusion is all.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the climate we have here in Michigan. It doesn't get as cold as Minnesota or Wisconsin, and yet we have 4 distinct pretty balanced seasons. We have a superb growing climate since we're sheltered by the Great Lakes. We're number 3 in flower production, we can grow just about anything. Cherries, soybeans, corn, grapes. wheat, and a huge host of veggies and fruit. A 90 day tomato might be pushing your luck here but that's the trade off to be able to have all sorts of berry bushes and collect maple syrup. We have some very remote and rural areas in the upper peninsula, to open farms and rich historical cities full of culture.

We have a large collection of game species too. Big game like elk, moose, wolves (which the DNR just opened a season on details to follow) black bear, to pheasant, grouse, woodcock (aka timberdoodles to the locals), ducks both puddle and divers are taken here too. Great fishing, from muskie, to pike, trout, salmon, steelhead, perch, and a host of pan fish, turkey, and who can forget some VERY big whitetails you name it we've got it. We may not have the Kansas and Texas monsters but we hold our own just fine and given the variety we have its a good trade. And those are just the game species.

We don't have many venomous things we do have Eastern Timber rattlers but seeing one is a very rare and many go their entire lives without seeing one. We also have Lake Sturgeon.

Really its a great place. We may not be have the best of one thing but Michigan is kind of like the swiss army knife of states. We have a lot of things we do well.

Latest posts