What do you like for fly control?

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Flies...inside, outside, around the chickencoop. What control do ya'll prefer?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They have these sticky pads that you hang around outdoors and the flies stick to it. I have to try using them.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm trying predators this year! Just put out my second shipment of the little boogers, and I swear they're working already! (purchased from Spalding labs)

I've tried EVERYTHING, this is kinda a last ditch effort, last year we were just over-run with them, couldn't walk in the coop with out a fly swatter - it was horrible.

We have 15 chickens, 6 ducks (the girls love flies!) 6 guinea's a dog, cat and horse and goat.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am trying a few things. Sticky traps (meh) and disposable fly traps. Different brands work differently. The baggie ones work, but I can smell them! EWWW!!! I have a plastic one now, but it doesn't work as well as the baggie style. I need to spread DE in the run. That helps a bit.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I remember years ago I bought some fly guns. They shoot little darts with a round pad like a fly swatter on the end. ZAP, one less fly. They were so much fun that when we had shot all the flies in the house we would open the door to let some more in. :weee I wonder if they still make them?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I remember years ago I bought some fly guns. They shoot little darts with a round pad like a fly swatter on the end. ZAP, one less fly. They were so much fun that when we had shot all the flies in the house we would open the door to let some more in. :weee I wonder if they still make them?
Hahahahaha....reminds me of the homemade rubber band guns we used to make waaaaay back when I was a young whippersnapper to kill flies with. Wow, haven't thought about that in years.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I am trying a few things. Sticky traps (meh) and disposable fly traps. Different brands work differently. The baggie ones work, but I can smell them! EWWW!!! I have a plastic one now, but it doesn't work as well as the baggie style. I need to spread DE in the run. That helps a bit.
I swear the stink of those bags attract even more flies, I'm trying hard not to attract the dern things, we have farm pasture around us, but with our nice tree line, the cows like to hang around right at our fence and probably poop TONS. (I should go steal poop! Hmmmmmmmmmm)

Anyhoo - I am hoping the predators work and it seems so far so good. I used DE, sticky paper and those water filled bags last year, with a little success but you wouldn't have known it for the amount of flies we had.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use fly predators from Spalding Labs also. You have to start early in the season before you even start to flies for them to work the best.
Once you start seeing them around they are already hatching out more and more of those nasty disease ridden things, ugh I hate them. The fly predators work by eating the larvae, they will still work after you have them around but it just takes another extra cycle to get caught up and the adults to die to keep them under control.
I get shipments from April to September with an extra order in July when they are at their peak.
For the adults, whatever type of sticky traps or whatever is better than nothing, for every one you kill there is one less fly that can lay more eggs.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
simple life said:
I use fly predators from Spalding Labs also.
I do, too, BUT they aren't cheap. I have 3 horses, and they cost me about $120.00/season. I never have seen flies around my chickens like the flies that LIVE around my horses. However, RepelX (or any other horse fly wipe) runs about the same or MORE for a season, and quits working when they sweat, or when it rains, so for horse owners the cost is relative.
If you can clean up after your birds a lot and compost and turn the piles, you'll keep down your fly population.
ALSO, I've been trying to hang my Japenese Beetle traps INSIDE of the chicken turnout, with a box, so my sevev RIR "girls" can hop on it and feast on them while they fly by. :lol:

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember years ago I bought some fly guns. They shoot little darts with a round pad like a fly swatter on the end. ZAP, one less fly. They were so much fun that when we had shot all the flies in the house we would open the door to let some more in. I wonder if they still make them?
Not sure..but they do have these :D
electric-bug-zapper.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-40122.html

I have one. I need to wait for the next sale at Harbor Freight and pick up a spare :gig

Latest posts