What Do You Overwinter ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My altitude used to be if you can't make it though winter I don't want you. Then I picked up a Meyer Lemon tree, first riped lemon hooked me. 2nd winter with citrus trees. Have them in my office with grow light.People are amazed in the middle of a NY winter a tree filled with lemons.Every gardener should have one, put it on your xmas list. 5 diffent citrus trees, moved inside. I just counted 15 fig trees in pots that need to come in, they are easlier dont need light just can't freeze. Waiting for canna to die back so i can dug up roots. What do you overwnter?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
A small herd of elephant ears will be dug up as soon as they die back. They'll spend the winter in a paper gift bag up on the shelf in the utility room.
I'm TRYING to keep two huge angel wing begonias inside this winter. They were a gift from a friend and looked soo pretty on the new back porch this summer.
Also have a couple of hanging baskets sitting on stools in the spare room - hoping to keep them alive till spring when they can return to the porches.
Nothing as complicated as your fruit trees. Mostly, I'm just trying to remember to water everything.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you, @Nyboy ! Bring 'em in, dust off their knees, straighten 'em up - you all will enjoy the winter company!

I gave up on trying to keep rosemary alive in basement sunlight. There may be too much warmth for them to stay dormant and not enough sunlight for them to be awake ... After half of the rosemary died one winter, I decided to try the floor of the unheated greenhouse, instead. Success with that, started me growing veggies in there.

Those veggies may not be quite what you meant. Well, I will have lemon verbena in there and several house plants have come home.

Are you ready for an after Halloween scare??

Scroll on down to see what's in my dungeon ... ;)

There are about 60 bags of dahlias! The peat moss was dry but I still have to leave the bags open so as not to encourage molds. Bags aren't the best for storage but they are easier than cardboard or wooden boxes to carry up and down steep stairs!

Steve

downsize_zpsa33b31bb.jpg

the ghosts of dahlia gardens yet to be

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey @Nyboy , are these the trees you were tring to figure out how to move??? How did you ever get them moved? Did that new-fangled wheelbarrow/cart thing work??

Jimminey-Cricket Steve!! That's a very full dungeon! (and a whole lot of work to have filled it!)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve you are the king of over wintering. The citrus are dwarf so not to heavy, I think 5 gallon pots. The figs are in much bigger pots waiting for all their leaves to fall off before tring to move.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually grumble about it quite a lot when it comes time to drag everything in, but the enjoyment I get from my dahlias, elephant ears, caladiums, etc. makes it worth it. I have tired of messing with the Brown Turkey fig tree though and it isn't doing well in the pot, so I am trying it planted outside this winter and wrapped up for protection. I have two Rocoto peppers I am thinking about bringing in. They didn't have enough time to mature their peppers this year, so I don't know if I like them or not. I may give them another chance.

When I was little, my mom had a lemon tree in a pot that was sprouted from a regular lemon seed. It made a neat houseplant, but I never remember it blooming or bearing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have my begonia tubers. Soon will have the dahlia roots. Added to them are a number of glad corms. Those will go into the basement corner with the potatoes, carrots, and onions from the garden.

I will have two small fig trees and several assorted tenders that I over-winter in the sun room. . . and three mints that never made it into a forever home. There are so many fewer this year. I hope I will have room to start some cool weather veggies in there after the new year.

Latest posts