What do you wish you had done differently?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
THe only thing I wish is that I didn't have fybromyalgia so I could do more at one time...

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't let the garden get away from me when I was ill.

I wish I had started gardening earlier this year

I wish I had cut back the nettles before they grew to 3ft high

I wish I was more patient so as I could grow more plants from seed, rather than buying plants.

Hi momofdrew! :frow

Fybromyalgia is terrible, you have all my sympathy. One of my oldest friends has it & has had virtually no success with controlling it. Every medication they prescribe has terrible side effects. I feel so sad for her as she was such a lively & hard-working person -- she used to paint scenery for the theatre. Now she often confined to her house; especially in windy weather (which we have had for weeks now) :barnie

Take care of yourself! :bouquet

:rose Hattie :rose

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
THe only thing I wish is that I didn't have fybromyalgia so I could do more at one time...
Same type of thing here- I injured my hip last winter and still can't get around very well. So DH does the garden and I do the chickens!

I would love to have more input in the garden, but he does a very good job so I stay quiet! I did the garden last year, and it's nowhere near as good as his!

Meanwhile, I am the queen of hatching roosters! And avocados! :p

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I wish I had.........bought a house with a bigger yard and built my fence 2 feet higher.

Used round-up on the quack grass sooner.

Never bought 'ornamental' grass.

Learned how to trellised my tomatoes sooner.

Cut the tree stump, in my backyard, off flush with the ground.

Sold and moved the ugly metal shed in my backyard, before I'd planted everything and made it impossible to move without crushing my plants.

Just a few.........
To get rid of the tree stump. Take a 55 gallon metal drum with the ends cut out and place it around the stumps. Take about 2 big bags of charcol and pour it on top of the stump. Soak it in lighter fluid for about 30 minutes and light it up. You can add more charcol or firewood if you have it as the fire burns on. The stump will burn out of the ground.

We have removed about 20 stumps in our yard doing it this way.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Momofdrew if you were closer I would come help you do more. My space is too little I find myself standing with a tool in my hand trying to figure out what I can do but it always ends up there is nothing to do.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is my first year for vegetable gardening so I can't complain all that much because I didn't know what I was doing BUT I would have...

1. Made more raised beds.

2. Moved it to a sunnier spot.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Purple Strawberry. :frow

Brilliant advice about getting rid of tree stumps --- just what I needed! :bow the stump has been annoying me for about 7 years. I shall have a celebration BBQ over it.

Thanks a million. :bouquet

TEG is great at solving your problems. (edited because I can't spell today)
:rose Hattie :rose

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Purple Strawberry said:
To get rid of the tree stump. Take a 55 gallon metal drum with the ends cut out and place it around the stumps. Take about 2 big bags of charcol and pour it on top of the stump. Soak it in lighter fluid for about 30 minutes and light it up. You can add more charcol or firewood if you have it as the fire burns on. The stump will burn out of the ground.

Option B, if you have a whole year to spend: Order some gourmet mushroom plug spawn from Fungi Perfecti. Drill holes in stump and put spawn in, then seal w/ beeswax. The mushrooms will sprout from the stump and by the next season it will be so rotten from the mushrooms that you can whack it down to nothing with a shovel.

Chicken Of The Woods, yum yum!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Purple Strawberry said:

Option B, if you have a whole year to spend: Order some gourmet mushroom plug spawn from Fungi Perfecti. Drill holes in stump and put spawn in, then seal w/ beeswax. The mushrooms will sprout from the stump and by the next season it will be so rotten from the mushrooms that you can whack it down to nothing with a shovel.

Chicken Of The Woods, yum yum!
Wow, two fantastic ideas for the stump in front of my house. I'm inclined to do the fungi, since that sounds more delicious (although Hattie's celebration bbq over the stump doesn't sound half bad).

Latest posts