What does " eat healthy " actually mean ?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister has had type I diabetes since she was 18. She got an insulin pump a couple of years ago, and does real well with it, but she finds that certain meds really mess with her blood sugar, such as prednisone. (she has an auto-immune disorder too; runs in the family) So I would just mention that if you are taking any meds for any other purpose, they might be suspect. Or maybe an antihistamine or even a supplement?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of you already know, but I will clarify for those who don't... the diabetes diet is not a specific fix all/one size fits all diet. It's known as medical nutrition therapy. It is tailored for different calorie levels based on age, weight, activity, and the foods are tweaked for helping control other medical issues one might be dealing with. Basically it helps you balance carbs, fats and proteins, and promotes eating smaller meals and snacks throughout the day to prevent the highs and lows.

Mom has had some pretty high spikes in blood sugar, occasionally blames it on too much pasta, but it always spikes if she has a virus.

Good that you are not overlooking your symptoms @bobm , best of luck at the doc, hope you feel better real soon!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started my " New and improved" diet over what the dietitions put me on since I put on 10 lbs. and I was always looking for something to eat as I was always hungry over 2 weeks following it. I cut out the vegies, fruit, rice, pasta , limited bread, eliminated all sweets. NO cheeses, cottage cheese, yogurt, or peanut butter that they said that I should eat, and since I upchuck these "nutritous foods" I will not eat them. Just mostly meat, small amount of potatoes, and a very small amount of white bread. On Sat. mornig I had a dark meat turkey half sandwich , lunch some dark meat turkey, dinner I had a Jack in the box hamburger then later in the evening I had friends over, so I had a shot of gin in a glass of Pomogranite juice and ginger ale. Sunday, I had 3 cackleberries with 2 slices of bacon with a small helping of hashbrowns. Lunch, dark meat turkey with a little hash browns. Dinner, baked chicken leg + thigh and a little potato salad. After dinner, rum with diet coke with friends. On first thing on Monday morning my blood sugar level was 117 and I lost 2 pounds and I was NEVER hungry ! :celebrate

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Healthy diet for me...red meat, eggs, cheese, dairy, tortillas, vegetables, CHOCOLATE, COFFEE, bread, sweet tea, pecans, chicken, pasta, durn near everything. No blood pressure or sugar problems. I feel real lucky after reading this.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I had a telephone consultation yesterday afternoon with a Doctor specializing in endocrinology. He came across as a GOD and that everyone should listen in awe of him. He had diarehea of the mouth as I could barely put in a word edgewise. Then he asked me what medicines that I want and what dosage . What ??? He wouldn't even listen to any questions of a genetic component for diabetes, or any relationship with other kidney, heart ,lymph system, etc., etc. diseases. :rolleyes: So, I have another appointment with a different endocrinologist on Feb. 18 in Portland, Oregon. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just because he made it through medical school and owes hundreds of thousands of $$$$$, he thinks he's smarter than you. You pay him, he should shut up and LISTEN.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate going to the doctor. I've yet to find one that listens. :\

Glad you're trying another, Bob. Doesn't sound like this guy was going to do much to help you.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you mean, @bobm, that the god-doctor was going to prescribe over the phone without ever examining you? Is that even legal? He must possess godlike qualities, then!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finding the right doctor makes all the difference in the world. My wife struggled with certain internal things for a long time but when we moved up here she finally found a good endocrinologist that made some huge improvements in her lifestyle. Before she found him, well some of Bob's comments sound familiar. She is extremely happy with this guy and he will listen.

She also found a Rheumatologist. Our GP warned her that his "bedside manner" was kind of rough but that he knows his stuff. He could recommend someone with a more pleasing personality if she wished. Nope, as long as he knows his stuff she can put up with his brusque manner. I've met him and yes he can be kind of blunt. But he knows his stuff.

Part of the problem is that medicine is not an exact science. As others said above we are all different. What works for one does not work for everyone. The doctors are basically guessing. They prescribe a drug or drug regimen plus maybe exercises, supplements, and diets and see what happens. How does your body react? Can you keep food down or how do you feel? Plus do a lot of bloodwork and liver panels to see what is going on internally. It's trial and error and it is your body that is being experimented on. When it goes good it can make a huge improvement but when it does not work you can suffer.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dietition gave me a list of approved foods and quantities to eat ( limiting meats) but including cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and peanut butter ( I am allrgic to these ) for diabetics ... turns out NOT working effectively at all but relying much more on blood tests and drugs . A week ago I started to eat mostly protein foods and eliminating almost all vegies, fruits, flour products, rice, and potatoes ... my blood sugar dropped and in 1 week I have lost 4 pounds.... yesterday morning blood sugar was 109 , I had 3 scrambled eggs and a glass of milk for breakfast, 3 hours later blood sugar was 146,For lunch I had half tuna fish sandwich with 1 slice of white bread, for dinner my wife made chicken white breast strips stir fried with very little peas in the pod (I had 3 small pods ), 2 diced green onions, a few (5) bean sprouts with soy sauce over quinoa. 3 hours later my blood sugar was 143. Then last evening we had a glass of rum and diet coke. This morning my blood sugar was 89. This morning for breakfast I had 2 scrambled eggs and a toasted whole ( both halves ) English muffin with just a very thin coating of margarin. At noon my blood sugar was 281 and I felt wooooooosy !!! I took 5 mg. of Glipicide and 2 hours later and I feel fine now. So, those of you with diabetes, what are your ( or someone you know ) experiences to help those that are new to diabetes ?