What does it mean when your...

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What I would do is let them flower and when the plant starts to turn yellow and die back I would start checking for potato's....but once again thats me....plus i leave them in the ground and get them when i need them for supper before the ground starts to freeze then i remove them and put them in the cellar
Your doing fine...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine have already flowered... and the flowers are falling off now... I am waiting for them to turn yellow and start to die back. I was told to wait around 2 weeks after the vines die back.

I would assume I could pick 'NEW' potatoes now.... but if I want to store them for long periods I have to wait longer.

So I'm trying to be patient, but I am craving potatoes.... like twice baked potatoes with lots of cheese and sour cream!!! mmmmm

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. They sure did grow fast. Hopefully I will have a good crop. We will see...

:rainbow-sun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
As Vfem said, new potatoes may be available to you. But, you do have to weigh the temptation with the prospect of storage potatoes.

I've been told by a potato scientist - really, truly - that "sneaking" new potatoes stresses the plant sufficiently that it will only make a little more production before finishing its season. She said that one may as well pull the entire plant and enjoy the new potatoes.

Or, leave it alone and be patient . . .

Honestly, if there are peas to enjoy creamed with the new potatoes, I can't resist taking up a plant or 2 :p.

Steve

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
yeah what they said. You need to be sure to water them profusely during the flowering time to get more/better taters.

We start poking our fingers in the dirt at the base of the plant about 2 weeks after they flower and sneak tatoes steady till the plants die in the fall and then do a big dig-up and still have plenty for winter! Of course, one of the 2 gardens in nothing but tatoes and onions so we have a lot to begin with...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I see new potatoes at the farm stand down the road.... they are growing storage potatoes too. They pull a row of new potatoes skip a row for storage potatoes and so on! They will replant ALL of them for a fall harvest which will be 100% storage potatoes. I was thinking to just harvest all mine now as new potatoes and worry about letting my next batch just fully mature.... but I want these potatoes IF I have enough last for my summer BBQ's.... and when I throw BBQ's and parties... I throw PARTIES!!!

Besides.... I will have 25-30 people to feed at my dad's 60th birthday I'm throwing here in July. Pretty pricey party as its all on my brother and I to pay for! :p

Anyways wanna ship me extras from their garden to help out?! ;) hehhehehe