What does your compost bin/pile look like?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My compost bin IS the coop! :tools All year, I toss in vegetable trimmings, most of which they eat. What they don't eat gets pecked, scratched and pooped on. All winter I pile in sawdust, as it gets poop saturated, I just toss in some more. A few days ago I emptied 5 big gargage bags of grass clippings. It too will decompose. In the spring I dig it all out and pile it up to be applied to the garden as needed. It is black, crumbly and rich.

My compost pile is just that--a pile. I scoop it up and feed the garden, which feeds us, and the garden trimmings go to the chickens and the cycle starts all over again! :rainbow-sun

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info guys! The pictures are especially helpful.

DH set me up with a 55 gal barrel last night. It was a quick, temporary fix, since I had several buckets of scraps sitting on the porch attracting bugs. He cut the top and bottom off the barrel, dug a hole, and partially buried it. This should do until we decide what we really want and build it.

I'd love to have a pile in the yard like many of you do, but the animals here will just turn it into a huge mess.

Keep your ideas coming! Thanks!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
baymule said:
My compost bin IS the coop! :tools All year, I toss in vegetable trimmings, most of which they eat. What they don't eat gets pecked, scratched and pooped on. All winter I pile in sawdust, as it gets poop saturated, I just toss in some more. A few days ago I emptied 5 big gargage bags of grass clippings. It too will decompose. In the spring I dig it all out and pile it up to be applied to the garden as needed. It is black, crumbly and rich.

My compost pile is just that--a pile. I scoop it up and feed the garden, which feeds us, and the garden trimmings go to the chickens and the cycle starts all over again! :rainbow-sun
I just started doing this too after we got the new bigger coop built. We put river sand in the bottom and have been putting all kinds of garden / yard waste, grass clippings, chipped wood etc.... right in the coop.

We do have a compost pile, but it's just that a very neglected pile straight on the ground.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I have 3 of these stackable units and turn my piles from one to another (well that was the original plan... now they mostly just sit):

6f5b5d14_compost.jpeg

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I had a 2 bin system, as well. My one bin has an active, dump kitchen scraps here area, and a "sitting and waiting" side. Once a year the sitting, composted material goes on the garden, and the active area gets moved over a bit. But it's not enough room to really do it well.

Re: composting dead animals. I once read a really informative article on how, somewhere here in Montana where I live, there is a municipality that composts roadkilled animals. They haul in the dead deer, cover them REALLY GOOD with wood chips I think it was, and let them sit and compost. Apparently it was working well for them... not sure what they were doing with the composted material afterward.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
baymule said:
My compost bin IS the coop! :tools All year, I toss in vegetable trimmings, most of which they eat. What they don't eat gets pecked, scratched and pooped on. All winter I pile in sawdust, as it gets poop saturated, I just toss in some more. A few days ago I emptied 5 big garbage bags of grass clippings. It too will decompose. In the spring I dig it all out and pile it up to be applied to the garden as needed. It is black, crumbly and rich.

I REALLY like this idea! We've got a set of 4 new young hens that are <1 month old and we're thinking about putting them out in the hen-house before winter arrives (which will be in.. umm.. perhaps December?) but leave them to live in the coop/run.. The original set of 4-6 birds we had within the past several years did quite a number on our backyard and it's in need of some serious rehab -- not only because of the chickens.. (long story involving a remodel). Anyway, if we were to remove the sand (or some of it) from the run perhaps we could do this as well? Hmm..

We do have a number of compost bins but none are active for a variety of reasons -- lack of water, lack of turning/attention, wrong ratio,etc.. This sounds like we could employ chicken power to help out!

Latest posts