What Funny Names Are In Your Family?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I remember a line from one of author Terry Prachett's Discworld books on the rather liberal naming conventions in Lancre to the effect that "The only reason that there is not a girl named Chlamydia Weaver is that at the last minute her parents decided "Sally" was easier to spell. "

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got a cousin Dooner. He was a couple of years older than me and he got that name because I couldn't say 'Junior'. His real name is Rafael Ray, Jr. He's still referred to as Dooner by everyone in my family's hometown. He was a football player in high school and I remember the announcer at the game calling out his number and saying Dooner over the loudspeaker.

And Baymule, Lurlene is an old southern name. I've got one somewhere's in the family tree. It's like Nadine or Jolene. I've got a mess of ene's in my family tree. Seems like half my aunts and cousins were named Francine, Aileen, Charleen, Darleen, Earlene, Nadine, Pauline and on and on...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Then there is George Foreman. He named each first son, by each new wife, George Foreman. His first daughter is named Georgette. How confusing is that when it comes to credit information? There is a George Foreman, Jr. through George Foreman VI. as well as the other children -- 10 in all.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jim, that guy always made a lot of sense to me ...

I neglected to tell you that both my brother and I put that name down on the birth certificate for a middle name of our first child. Me: Ray. Him: a girl, Rae.

I think that both of us were just exhausted and essentially stopped thinking.

Sherlock Holmes was said to have a nemesis who had the same name as his brother ... to confuse the authorities, I suppose.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My SIL has two children, Keith and Kerrie. Keith married Kathleen and has three sons, Kyle, Kole, and Kale.

None of my three SIL's had to change their monogram when they married.

Latest posts