What gardening books are you reading?

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is a good topic, Phaedra. I have stacks of books that I plan and hope to read this winter. Only one is a gardening book, "Bringing Nature Home" by Douglas W Tallamy. I also do have a stack of "Organic Gardening" magazines (publications of Robert Rodale) from the late 1970s and early 1980s that I recently acquired from Ebay. My late husband used to subscribe and used much of what he read to plan and maintain the large vegetable garden we grew back in those days. These magazines were discarded as time went on, and I came to regard their absence with regret, so decided to replace them. I also regret not reading the articles myself, so now is my chance to make it right.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
a stack of "Organic Gardening" magazines (publications of Robert Rodale) from the late 1970s and early 1980s that I recently acquired from Ebay.
IMG_0749.jpeg
Have this one?

I have saved this from my subscription back in the day. It served as an important introduction to French Intensive gardening – variations known by other names. To one degree or another, that was a goal that I achieved in a couple of gardens. This issue provided so much early guidance that I have kept it :).

Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 60664
Have this one?

I have saved this from my subscription back in the day. It served as an important introduction to French Intensive gardening – variations known by other names. To one degree or another, that was a goal that I achieved in a couple of gardens. This issue provided so much early guidance that I have kept it :).

Steve
I checked, and yes this issue is one that I do have. On your recommendation I shall move this up to first issue to read, seeing as you found it to be so helpful. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 60664
Have this one?

Steve
Oh, February 1976, I would be born another four months later. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the one we have here, however, like other magazines, there are endless advertisement inside. So I will only keep the useful or interesting things in my scrapbook, which is a folder and I can add always new information into different months.

12613.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the one we have here, however, like other magazines, there are endless advertisement inside. So I will only keep the useful or interesting things in my scrapbook, which is a folder and I can add always new information into different months.

I did the same thing with my horse magazines from the 1970s, scrapbooking saved articles, and while I no longer have use of them, I'm glad that I saved them.

I hate to see print magazines disappearing. There's something nice about a physical publication with pretty cover art that online magazines can't really compete with. Your gardening magazine looks very pleasing.

Enjoy your youth! You will find, as the years tick by, how fleeting it is. ;-)

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I really love the Birds and Blooms magazines; I get one every month.

The modern ones do have a few advertisements, but they are still great. A friend gave me some older ones from around 2006-2012; they are fantastic and give me so many great ideas!

Their website is great too:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our library used to keep stacks of old magazines so you could sit down and read several year's worth of information on one topic. A lot of people had subscriptions to expensive periodicals, and once they had read them they would donate the mgazines to the library for sharing. The library no longer does that, and I miss it.

Latest posts