What goes with purple?

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Along the front of my porch I have mexican petunias
frontporch.jpg

Im wondering if I should plant something infront of them? If so.. what?

Last year in the annual bed I keep on the side of the sidewalk that leads to the front porch I planted salvia in the front, cleome in the back, and on the corner where the holly bush is I put merigolds.
To shade the porch from the hot evening sun coming in from the west I planted morning glories.
Last year I had NO flowers bloom but I think that was due to the fertalizer that got spread over that way.

Heres some pictures of what came out

This is an early picture and the only one I have of the merigolds to show their location
frontporch3.jpg

Mid/Late season
annualbed.jpg

frontporch2.jpg

I didnt like the cleomes because they were too leggy and not enough flower. Right up against the house gets part sun part shade but the front of the bed gets very light morning shade but as soon as the sun comes up... full blast sun

This year I want to take the bed to the other side of the sidewalk.
At the corner of the walk and drive I want to plant a tree. It wont cast shade for a few years so I want to keep this area an annual bed for now.
Here is a picture from a few years ago of the area:
annualbed.jpg

Any flower suggestions for purple sceme?
I have bought these seeds for the morning glory area again
Morning Glory Milky Way
White Moonflower

I got this plant to use in planter up the cement part of the driveway (I want to put mint down under these planters)
Angel's Trumpet Ballerina Purple

And something Ive never even seen in person so dont know how they will turn out or where Im even going to plant them
Aster 'Opus'

Everything I plant must be from seed. Im budgeted like crazy so seeds is the way I have to go.
I need some other color besides PURPLE and WHITE.

I need ideas! PLEASE!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like yellow and chartruse with soft purple. I also like that bright fushia for accent.

Or you could take the purple and go lighter and/or darker with it and add cream.

Don't forget about plants that are all foliage. There's so much more out there than just plain green. ;) They tie things together nicely.

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I like yellow and chartruse with soft purple. I also like that bright fushia for accent.

Or you could take the purple and go lighter and/or darker with it and add cream.

Don't forget about plants that are all foliage. There's so much more out there than just plain green. ;) They tie things together nicely.
Could you give me some examples of all foliage plants?
Im not good with those :/

I was thinking of using some wave patunias for the pink color..
I dont know if I want them in hanging baskets or make a mound on the ground. I think a hanging basket would create a more dramatic effect

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The majority of my yard is Yellow, Orange and Red with little bits of pinks and purples here and there.

I like Yellows and reds and purples together... my fav

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a small yellow and purple garden that kind of happened by accident and I took it from there. The area is a quarter-circle; the two straight sides are about 12 feet long. There's a large landscape rock towards the center. Last summer I had a bunch of iris' in different shades of purple and purple with yellow, three Angel Face roses, two Golden Celebration roses, three miniature Sugar Plum roses, purple pansies with yellow faces, and a bunch of sweet alyssum. It looked terrific if I do say so myself. This spring I'm going to put something more in, but not sure what yet.

Hope that helps.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
The majority of my yard is Yellow, Orange and Red with little bits of pinks and purples here and there.

I like Yellows and reds and purples together... my fav
Ooh, that is nice! Very dynamic combination.

Examples of foliage would be coleus, grasses, dusty miller, ferns, hostas (for the most part), herbs, shrubs, sweet potato vine...whew...I can't think of anymore! :)

Gotta love wave petunias, where ever you decide to put them. You could do one of those spilled over planters or barrels and let them tumble out, that would be cool too.

Can't wait to see pics when you get it going!

Latest posts