What have you canned or preserved today?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use empty chicken feed bags, the plastic ones that hold 50 pounds. The paper ones will rot with the damp compost in it. They keep on working.

I used five of them, which is pretty normal for a batch. for me They are not totally filled and the 160 pounds total is a guess.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last night I made:
5 jelly jars of jalapeno-habanera salsa (hot peppers grown in my moms garden in Virginia) (my hands are still burning)
6 pints of stewed tomatoes

Froze 4 quarts of assorted bell peppers and 1 quart of green onion tops for cooking.

Not a lot, but it's my first year canning, so I'm a bit slow.

I still have a bunch of huge tomatoes left - mostly mortgage lifter and black krim. Any ideas? I have both pressure and waterbath canner.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
8 more jars of tomato sauce, 12 jars of sweet hots -- mixed peppers in a sweet brine -- and today, 8 pints of figs. I also figure I have dried about $150 worth of dried tomatos (about a pound and a half.) If you use sun-dried tomatos in recipes, you can save a ton by drying them yourself.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got a Nor-pro Sauce Master that sounds like your Squeezo, Ridgerunner. The cost was about $45 at my local Amish supply store, a little more on-line. I got additional strainer heads for finer seeds or larger sized pulp. It has been a great time saver.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
46 quarts of dill pickles, 20 quarts spicy dill pickles, 80 pints various kinds of salsa, 16 pints of zesty bread and butter pickles, and hung up about 12 cayenne peppers in the window to dry to make powder. On my agenda tomorrow- drying lots and lots of herbs, canning spicy pickled carrots, and make tomato juice to can the next day.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
. . . and make tomato juice to can the next day.
HPQ - can you share with us how you make your tomato juice? Every time I try I get something that I don't like. This is tomato sauce making season and you know how many gallons of tomato juice you get when squeezing the liquid out of 100 lb. of tomatoes. Thanks.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smiles said:
HotPepperQueen said:
. . . and make tomato juice to can the next day.
HPQ - can you share with us how you make your tomato juice? Every time I try I get something that I don't like. This is tomato sauce making season and you know how many gallons of tomato juice you get when squeezing the liquid out of 100 lb. of tomatoes. Thanks.
I know that feeling!!! We're well over 200lbs of canned tomatoes right now and I'm slightly relieved that more then 1/2 our plants are now done for the year. Ripping those babies out today to lay the groundwork for the fall greens needing to go in. :)

We did 34 - 1/2 pints of jam yesterday. Hot pepper, rosemary, sugar free fig and vanilla peach sauce. YUM!

Latest posts