What have you canned or preserved today?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Cane, it's on here, but on Thistleblooms lawn post. Instead of sending you searching for it, I went and got it for you! This stuff is fantastic! Yesterday I made more, seven 1/2 pint jars of jelly and just for fun I made 2 pint jars of syrup for pancakes! I count the flowers as I pick and so far, it seems to be that 100 flowers equals 1 cup of petals. You can freeze them until you get enough. Unless you are cultivating them like I've been doing and yesterday I picked 600 flowers, today I picked 400 flowers. I am also drying them for tea.

Dandelion Jelly makes about 5-8 oz. jars

4 c. dandelion flower petals, green bits removed
4 c. water

1. Place the dandelion flower petals in a pot and add the water, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes, then turn off heat and allow the pot to cool.
2. Use a jelly bag or coffee filter to strain the flowers out of the water, you need 3 c. of dandelion infusion, but may have some extra.

3c. dandelion infusion
1 T lemon juice
1 box Sure-Jell powdered pectin
4 1/2 c. sugar

3. Place dandelion infusion, lemon juice, and pectin powder in a large pot. Whisk together and bring this mixture to a rolling boil.
4. Add all of the sugar at once, stirring constantly, and return the mixture to a rolling boil. Boil 1 minute.
5. Remove the jelly from the heat, skim the foam from the top and ladle into sterilised hot jars. Cover, and process in a water bath 10 minutes.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
COOL!! THANKS!
I think that I'm going to have to set aside an area for an official dandelion bed.
I just mowed them all down the other day :(
.... but they'll be right back :) .

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
COOL!! THANKS!
I think that I'm going to have to set aside an area for an official dandelion bed.
I just mowed them all down the other day :(
.... but they'll be right back :) .
I have transplanted some, and let the rest go wild in the garden. It's all a hodge-podge of mixed up stuff anyway. Dandelions give me something to pick NOW! I also dry the petals for tea. About 1/4 cup dried petals to a tea pitcher of water.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
A few weeks back we put up 6 pints of Mint Sauce, the kind with the vinegar and sugar.
What? (tapping foot) Where is the recipe?? Go to the harvest section and post it!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bay, you just reminded me to get the clover jelly rolling before the husband mows! LOL

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This weekend, I put up 6 1/4 quarts of pie cherries, 5 pints of pickled beets, and 5 1/2 quarts of peaches--they were a gift and quickly going soft.
I also harvested seed pods from giant radishes. This week I need to pull the seeds from my bolted spinach.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Amazingly, I have canned enough beef to make room in the freezer for another. Meatballs in sauce, ground beef, roasts made into Beef Dip and burrito meat, broth and jerky. I love knowing there is a quick meal on the shelf and if we lose power, it will still be there! :woot

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sadly we haven't preserved one ever loving thing yet :/ I'm getting excited though.... been too long with out home grown veggies. I miss it a lot.

Latest posts