What have you canned or preserved today?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Used my saved green, now turned red cherry tomatoes and my onions and my jalepanos to make nine 1/2 pints of Salsa!! I'm processing my bumper crop of apples into applesauce, apple pie filling and apple cidar. "Bit my bit (my fellow Romans.)"

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Last Saturday, the day I tried to do TOO MUCH!!, I processed the rest of my apple harvest. I canned 4 quarts of apple cidar, 1 quart of apple pie filling, and 1 pint + one 1/2 pint of applesauce. The horses got all of the leftovers.
munch.......munch......munch
NOW, all I have to can is some more mint sauce and to transform the grape juice I put up into more grape jelly.
Oh, YEAH, this winter I'll be playing around with my wine-making kit.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been on a roll...had the canner going almost every day this past week. Been too busy to hop on here much! I've done 11 qts of chicken stock, 4 qts pickled beets, 6 qts deer stew meat and 10 pints of apple butter. I've got another bushel of apples to go. Those will be applesauce. I've got more chicken stock to do with the carcasses from butchering a couple weeks ago. I'll thaw those from the freezer and tackle them a little here and there. I'm going to try canning some legs and thighs too.

Put up the rest of the deer for the freezer, vacuum packed ten 1 lb. bags of ground and three bags of backstrap steaks and I'm munching on homemade jerky right now...nom...nom... :pop

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pa got a deer today. So we will be skinning, gutting, chopping the meat, making hamburger, and running it through the foodsaver for the next three or so days.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Journey, was that ground deer meat? I'm trying to hide from Thistle :hide cause I've never had deer either.

Mary
Deer meats great! :drool

I'll eat nearly anything though. When I won't eat something is when my family knows that it is downright horrible! :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone make mincemeat from venison?

My uncle spent a lifetime in the forests as a logger. Two deer tags would be used and my aunt would also get a deer, now & then. I remember one year they brought in 4 of those little Coast Range black-tails.

She would sometimes use an entire deer for mincemeat. We wouldn't just have it in a pie. As a kid, I thought this was "mincemeat." What was in a jar at the soopermarket was something else.

Steve

Latest posts