What Haven't You Learned, from these People?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This Sunday morning, I had an idea to see what the bloggers are having to say with the advent of the spring gardening season ... Blogmetrics lists those at the top by a number of measurements. Hmmm, I won't bother with that cutesy one I've looked at a few times. How's this practical one oriented towards seasonal "eats" doin'! Outta business?! In the top 25 and ... nuthin' in 2015??

Okay, hard-workin' gardening lady who claims to be obsessed with record keeping - good for her, good for me! Recent article on garden tools but it's essentially links to videos with her comments. Mostly, it's that she has her own way of doing things and the videos are a little off the mark.

I take a look at one of them. Shoot, I can agree! The lady is working with a spading fork, over the top of a rake she has tossed on the ground!. Remember the olde joke about stepping on the rake and having the handle hit you in the head? I was a little disappointed it didn't happen ;).

Poking and shoving with her fork from outside the bed ... my spading forks have 11" tines. Was she afraid she would pack down the soil deeper than 11" if she stepped in there? She was better with the rake ...

I did a YouTube search with the term, "spading fork." Lifting and turning ... ouch. Yeah, you can do that but people get hurt with their weekend gardening. The vertical twisting of grass sod with a D-handled fork was a new trick to me but it puts some pressure on the wrists and real care would need to be taken.

Gardening should be good exercise! I recently barked the skin off a knuckle so maybe these digitS' aren't good for criticizing but I didn't make a video on how to drive a stake with your fist to demonstrate my stupidity!

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the things I've learned from that type of stuff is that most of the "how to's" on the internet are more personal opinion than anything else. We are all unique. If someone posts that you have to do it my way or civilization as we know it will cease to exist, I look for a second opinion.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I think garden "wisdom" is passed along by people who haven't actually tried the method they recommend. :rolleyes:

I recently attended a class on composting (required) and just had to smile to myself about some of the suggested methods. Some of them would work in other, warmer, places than here, but some of them seemed so, ....unrealistic.

I don't know, maybe some people actually do build their compost on top of pallets for air flow. More than once.
Or build on top of a pile of brush. If so I can guarantee they aren't turning it very often. Unless they are some kind of mild masochist.
Or how about the statement that it will take 8 weeks to achieve finished compost? Not likely to happen up here!

This was "approved" university information too.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, @thistlebloom, I've heard how to make compost in 8 weeks. It takes 2 tons each of brown and green material, constant turning 24 hours a day for 56 days and results in 10 pounds of usable compost.

Perhaps I am luckier than digitS' in that my computer is so slow I can't spend/waste my time 'learning' from all the professionals on U-tube even if I wanted to.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I save bandwidth ..

. by not turning on the audio.

;)

Steve
who once had a neighbor with a compost bin on legs. what he put in there never decomposed until the legs rotted off of it and it fell over ... altho' the petrified material might still be out there in the weeds.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have audio?! Someone -- I suspect a grandchild although all claim innocence -- broke part of the plug-in in the computer. I haven't had sound for years. Just not ready to hook my new computer up yet.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... If someone posts that you have to do it my way or civilization as we know it will cease to exist, I look for a second opinion.

This morning, I've been doing a little gardening climate research and was reminded of your response, RidgeRunner. No, it wasn't that politically-charged question of "change."

... Everything was static, I was looking at comparisons of regional climates.

I recall a person newly arrived in Colorado trying to get a handle on this new climate he found himself in. He had done some reading. His comparison was with a part of Tibet. The problem was he was talking to someone who didn't like the idea that his home was being compared to Tibet. Out of hand, it was rejected.

There was no questioning the geographer's statics on climate. None of the 3 of us had actually been to Tibet, an area nearly 5 times the size of the state of Colorado and with a growing season of 150 days in its agricultural areas.

No, in that person's mental constructions, there was no comparisons that could or should be made. To suggest otherwise was, apparently, insulting. Wow.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mute or ... don't-mute for how I've "made use" of YouTube:

This was several years ago. I have trouble putting sound to things and hope it turned out okay. I also consider still pictures a challenge enough without attempting videos. However, the pictures I used - only the first (with the corn) was my own. ;). It's just for fun, ya won't learn a thing!

Steve

Latest posts